What we seek in Alexandria tenants
In Alexandria, our team wants to work with good tenants. Here are a few of the traits we seek out.
- A tenant pays the rent on time every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A renter is honest. A renter does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A renter is fussy about cleanliness. A renter does not attract pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A renter does not misuse the home.
- A renter is courteous and nice to get along with. A renter understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A renter doesn't annoy neighbors.
- A tenant complains when appropriate. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost landlords money and cause issues for property managers.
- A tenant doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a tenant doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A tenant doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A renter does not smoke in the home.
- A renter is looking for a rental term that is as long as the owner wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find tenants who measure up to this ideal? Experience has taught us that troublesome tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with jobs. We have a knack for sniffing out difficult tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Alexandria based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge applicants based upon their reputation and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our managers from the outset, they will probably be troublesome as tenants. If a is caught fabricating facts, we will expect them to be unreliable as a renter. If a has difficulty scrounging up money for background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same person will have troubles while they are in the rental.
But even if every statement initially is promising we still check the background of every person with a full background check. Every potential renter and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Alexandria Rental Management Resources
a good archive for property owners in Alexandria
- Before you move a tenant into your rental in Alexandria
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Alexandria rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Alexandria
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Alexandria
More Information About Alexandria
After the background check is finished we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as property managers in Alexandria and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you need understand more about this local real estate market?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a handy tool for everyone who needs to review important real estate information about Alexandria and nearby communities. The Guide to Real Estate compiles facts regarding what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as some compelling facts that you may not be aware of. And, our Guide features quite a few of the fundamentals of residing in Alexandria. Certainly, most of this is interesting for purchasers and sellers, but real estate investors and tenants may also find this information to be quite edifying.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt