In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Alexandria
After a period of service as a rental unit, landlords often decide to sell their property. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rental units at best market value for our former property management clients in Alexandria.
If you decide you would like to sell your property, Email us and we'll begin by preparing a comparative market analysis to help figure out what your rental can probably fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll actually net at the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to rental investors in Alexandria who have owned rental property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a landlord to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A rental investor has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same property owner chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example demonstrates, exchanges protect property owners from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is important to have a good working knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can reveal possibilities that might have otherwise been overlooked.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale occurs when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our real estate investor clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of a concern lately.
However, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can go over the consequences of a short-sale help you decide if that choice is right for you and your rental.
Do you want understand more about the area?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy resource for everyone who wants to investigate real estate facts about Alexandria and surrounding communities. The Guide to Real Estate has facts about what has sold and what is for sale, and many surprising facts that you might not know. In addition, our Guide features quite a few of the elements of living in Alexandria. Definitely, most of this is useful for purchasers and sellers, but landlords and tenants may also find this information to be quite edifying.
a good archive for rental investors in Alexandria
- Before you rent out your investment in Alexandria
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds renters
- Insurance matters for rental investors using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Alexandria property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Alexandria
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Alexandria