Good great is a good indicator, but is no guarantee of a good tenant. Good credit history indicates that someone pays bills on time and knows how to manage their finances. Renters usually have worse credit than homeowners / landlords. Bad credit is not an absolute disqualifier. There are perfectly valid reasons why some people have bad credit and some of those people with bad credit can be outstanding tenants.
A credit history check is not the beginning or end but it is a good place to start to get a picture of whom you're dealing with.
Our Five Step Process
Property Management Basics
Are You in Need of a Property Manager?
There are many advantages to hiring a property management company; however, there is also an expense associated with hiring a property manager. In addition to the cost attached to property management, there are also other reasons why property management may not be suitable for your needs. There are factors to consider in order to determine whether hiring a property management company is ideal for you.
Ask yourself these questions as they will be helpful in determining whether there is a possibility that you need the services of Nesbitt Realty.
- Will you be living and working in the vicinity of your rental property? Northern Virginia is a very transient area. We have more than our share of military, diplomats, State Department, political appointees, and academia. If you are being transferred across the country or halfway across the globe, it may be a good idea to have a professional organization manage your rental property. Simple tasks may become complicated very quickly when you are not present to manage the details.
- Are you interested in handling all details of property management? There are some landlords who look forward to the challenge of finding good tenants. Other landlords are of the opinion that maintaining a property and managing the details are rewarding, and they enjoy taking late night calls. On the contrary, if you think rental property ownership is laborious and want little or nothing to do with the everyday management of your properties, you may consider hiring a property management company to manage your property.
- How full is your schedule? As rewarding as hands-on management is, you may not have much time to devote to your property management business. If you already have a full plate, then the last thing that you look forward to doing is nonstop worrying. Thus, hiring a property management company may be one of the best financial investments that you have made.
- Is the cost affordable? We will be honest. If you are considering hiring a property management company, it will be a much more attractive option if you are able to afford it. If monthly cash-flow is not an issue, you will prefer to save money by paying a property manager and writing off the expense. However, if at the end of every month cash is not readily available, you may not want to hire a property manager.
- Can you afford the risk? Do you understand the Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act? Do you know what are the tenant’s rights? Do you know what are your responsibilities as a landlord? The more you familiarize yourself with property management in today’s litigious culture, the more you will understand the value of having a professional who is always available to handle your matters.
- Do you have easy access to a network of maintenance people? All properties require maintenance. When your tenant calls you because the property is in need of repair, will you know whom to call and what to do in a timely manner? If not, you may want to consider hiring a property manager.