Are renters in Alexandria required to obtain renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that renters in Alexandria to buy renter’s insurance. However, our leases require that tenants purchase renter’s insurance to cover losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, renter negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental property. A’s insurance policy protects the property from loss, but not the tenant’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a useful source for rental investors in Alexandria
- Before you move a tenant into your rental in Alexandria
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your rental manager handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds renters
- Insurance matters for property owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Alexandria landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Alexandria
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Alexandria