What we look for in Dunn Loring renters
In Dunn Loring, our management staff likes to work with reliable tenants. Here are a few of the traits we look for.
- A tenant pays the rent on time every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A tenant is trustworthy. A renter does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A tenant is fastidious. A tenant does not bring pests like rodents and bugs.
- A tenant does not damage the home.
- A tenant is courteous and pleasant to work with. A tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A tenant doesn't disturb neighbors.
- A tenant reports problems at appropriate times. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost landlords money and cause issues for property managers.
- A tenant doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a renter doesn't demand to upgrade functioning systems. A tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A tenant doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A tenant does not smoke in the property.
- A renter is looking for a rental term that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the rental.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find renters who live up to this ideal? Experience has taught us that unreasonable tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with jobs. We have a knack for sniffing out bad renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Dunn Loring based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however assess applicants based upon their track record and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our managers from the beginning, they will probably be rude as renters. If a makes false statements, we can expect them to be dishonest as a renter. If a has difficulty scrounging up fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we will expect that same applicant will have difficulty while they are in the rental.
But even when every statement initially is good we still check the background of every potential tenant with a full background check. Every applicant and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Dunn Loring Rental Management Resources
a handy reference for landlords in Dunn Loring
- Before you lease out your rental in Dunn Loring
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for rental investors using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Dunn Loring landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Dunn Loring
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Dunn Loring
More Information About Dunn Loring
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Dunn Loring and the information which we have verified. Ultimately the real estate investor decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Should you understand more about this local real estate market?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy tool for everyone who wants to find out more about Dunn Loring and nearby communities. The Guide to Real Estate compiles facts about what has sold and what is on the market, as well as a few shocking facts that you might not know. Not to mention, our Guide has quite a few of the aspects of residing in Dunn Loring. As a matter of course, most of this is useful for buyers and sellers, but owners and tenants will also find these tools to be somewhat informative.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt