In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Warren County
After a period of owning a rental, landlords often choose to sell their rental. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rental properties at best market value for our former property management clients in Warren County.
If you decide you would like to sell your rental unit, Contact us and we'll begin by preparing a comparative market analysis to help predict what your rental property can likely fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you understand how much you'll really take away from the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to rental investors in Warren County who have owned property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a rental investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental property and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A real estate investor has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same rental investor chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example demonstrates, exchanges shelter landlords from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is important to have a good working knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can reveal opportunities that might have otherwise been dismissed.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale happens when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our rental investor clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental unit. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of a concern lately.
But even so, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can clarify the consequences of a short-sale help you decide if that choice is best for you and your rental unit.
Do you need know more about our community?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a free tool for everyone who needs to learn more about Warren County and neighboring areas. The Guide to Real Estate has facts about what has sold and what is for sale, as well as a couple of compelling facts that you might not know. Not to mention, our Guide has quite a few of the benefits of living in Warren County. Of course, most of this is interesting for buyers and sellers, but real estate investors and tenants will also find these tools to be somewhat informative.
a free archive for property owners in Warren County
- Before you put a renter in your property in Warren County
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the property owner get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Warren County owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Warren County
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Warren County