The largest and wealthiest jurisdiction in Northern Virginia, it stretches from Lorton to Vienna and contains every kind of neighborhood, mostly upscale. Known for the high quality of its services and schools.
Scott’s Run Nature Preserve is one of Fairfax County’s most rugged parks and public areas. Scott’s Run Nature Preserve is located at 7400 Georgetown Pike in McLean, just outside the Beltway near Tysons Corner and Dunn Loring. The nature preserve is named for Scott’s Run, a tributary of the Potomac River. The creek springs from a very large ancient gravel deposit that is the highest altitude in Fairfax County. The point of origin is just below the parking lots of the shopping centers of Tysons Corner. Flowing east, through many business parks and condominium complexes, Scott’s Run empties into the Potomac at the waterfall.
Hikers will find two entrances into the valley park. One path trails along the stream and the other path leads to the bluffs above the river. Hiking the trails of Scott’s Run can be challenging and rewarding. Some trails are gentle and wind quietly through the forest. Other trails require hiking up and down very steep hills and cliffs. Be aware that the trails down the bluffs to the Potomac River are sheer in many places, and visitors must very carefully pick their way down the rocky cliffs.
Renovations are complete at Ossian Hall Park, a 22-acre community park in the Braddock District. Ossian Hall Park is located on the corner of Heritage Drive and Four Year Run next to Annandale High School at 7900 Heritage Drive in Annandale, VA. The park was the site of the 18th century Ossian Hall plantation owned by the Fitzhugh family as part of the Ravensworth Land Grant. It was burned in 1959 by the Annandale Fire Department as a training exercise.
Renovations at the park have added new recreational amenities:
a new community plaza area,
attractive natural stone retaining walls,
two new playgrounds,
two multi-use courts, and
a 180-ft x 360-ft synthetic turf field were installed.
Overhanging tree limbs were trimmed back to improve visibility and new asphalt trails wind through the wooded park. The parking lot was increased to include 120 spaces.
Renovations and improvements also include Fairfax County Park Authority’s first underground Low Impact Design (LID) Stormwater Facility. The park has also added state-of-the-art LED lighting fixtures throughout the site improve the park’s illumination.
For more information please contact Fairfax County Public Information Office at 703-324-8662.
On Monday, December 6, 2010, the public is invited to attend an open house on on-going Tysons Corner planning and implementation activities following the adoption of a new Comprehensive Plan in June. Representatives from Fairfax County agencies will provide updates and answer questions. Rezoning applicants who have submitted plans to redevelop in line with the new vision for Tysons Corner will also be available to present their proposals and answer questions.
This will be an open house to include information on;
Recent development applications in Tysons (the applicants will be there to explain their proposals and answer questions from the community)
Department of Transportation will provide info on a number of ongoing studies including;
Dulles Toll Road Ramp Study
Tysons Corner Interim Parking Study
Ongoing Tysons Corner Bicycle Master Plan
Tysons Corner Grid and Circulator Studies
Update on public facility planning and transportation funding
First look at new Tysons website
Additional details on open house participants will follow. For more information on the Comprehensive Plan for Tysons, please visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/tysons. For more information on the open house or to request special accommodations, contact Matt Ladd at 703-324-1380, TTY 711.
A tribe of Native American Indians called the ‘Doeg’ or ‘Doages’, ‘Dogues’, ‘Taux’, Dogi’, ‘Tacci’ and more had resided in villages of Northern Virginia along the Potomac River and Occoquan Rivers, including Tauxenent near the mouth of the Occoquan River, Assameck near Alexandria and Namasingakent near Mount Vernon in 1607. The ‘Doeg’ were said to be a branch of the Algonquian language family who lived on hunting, fishing and farming according to the seasons while frequently residing in different locations.
A large number of the ‘Doeg’ were forced out by the English colonists within the 17th Century while the others died from European diseases. The remaining ‘Doeg’ moved towards the eastern bank of the Potomac River and south of the north bank of the Rappahanock.
The Dogue Creek is named after the ‘Doeg’ Indians.
Chesterbrook Swimming and Tennis Club (CST) was established in 1954 to provide a friendly and active outlet for a variety of programs including tennis, swimming, and diving teams, and social activities for all ages. Social activities are planned to bring the members together throughout the summer. Past activities include raft parties with pizza for children, Sunday brunches for adults prior to noon opening, and a mid-summer family barbecue, theme parties and 4th of July extravaganza planned by the pool lifeguards for families. Other activities for fee are also available to the membership, such as Red Cross swimming lessons, diving clinics, tennis clinics and water aerobics.
Chesterbrook facilities include:
Tennis Courts– Five regulation tennis courts, and an additional court with a backboard.
Upper Pool– A large 6 lane by 25 yard competition pool, an additional diving well with a one-meter board and a three-meter board, and a shallow play area with slide. The depth ranges from 3 feet in the shallow end to 11 feet in the diving area.
Lower Pool– A six lane by 25 meter pool ranging from 3 feet to 11 feet deep. This pool is dedicated to lap swimming on a regularly scheduled basis.
Wading Pool– A small pool in a fenced in area for use by children under the age of 7, accompanied by an adult.
Clubhouse/Locker Rooms– An entry/administrative area, snack bar, and locker rooms for men and women with lockers, showers and toilets.
Other– A volleyball court, ping-pong tables, and picnic tables are also available for use by members.
The pool opens usually on Memorial Day weekend and closes on Labor Day weekend. Tennis facilities may be used all year, weather permitting.
CST is owned and managed by its members. Each member/family purchases a certificate of membership in the club and pays annual dues until they choose to sell their certificate. Certificates may only be sold through the club and are handled by the Membership Director. The club is managed by an elected board that meets on a monthly basis.
Mailing Address: PO Box 494, McLean, Virginia 22101-0494
Street Address: 1812 Kirby Rd, McLean VA 22101
Poolside Phone: (703) 356-4471 (during pool hours)
Get your Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s gift shopping done all under one roof! The Mclean Holiday Crafts Show features 80 American Artisans from across the country. These crafters convene for a highly regarded and much anticipated annual show in Mclean VA. This show features fiber arts, wood, ceramics and pottery, jewelry, glass, holiday decor, items for children, gourmet foods, paper art, photography, soft sculpture, paintings and drawings and more!
Come hungry! Fresh Food Service Provided by Sweet Leaf of McLean.
The Holiday Crafts Show is at the McLean Community Center which is located on Ingleside Avenue, one block from the intersection of Old Dominion Drive and Dolley Madison Boulevard (Route 123) adjacent to the Dolley Madison Library and McLean Central Park. Its central location is convenient to all areas of the community and offers function planners a facility with easy access from Maryland, the District of Columbia, and throughout Northern Virginia.
Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Admission: Adults, $2; $1, age 13 and younger
(Take $1 off admission with a printout of this advertisement). Good all 3 days!
Lewinsville Park is a heavily-used district park with athletic fields, sport courts, playground, garden plots, historic house and seasonal farmers market. Spring Hill Park has athletic fields, a playground, picnic area and a RECenter with an indoor pool and fitness facilities. The 41-mile Cross County Trail traverses a portion of the western edge of the McLean District along the Difficult Run stream valley.
From May to December Lewinsville Park is the home of the Mclean Farmer’s Market.
Lewinsville Park is a pick-up point for Fairfax County’s free mulch. Fairfax County operates a brush grinding operation which produces double-shredded wood mulch for residents. Leaf mulch also is available on a seasonal basis, usually November through March.
Lewinsville Park is off Chain Bridge Road in McLean, Virginia. The neighborhoods here are generally very pleasant and upscale. You can learn more about homes for sale in this neighborhood by checking-out West Mclean.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is a part of the U.S. Department of Transportation and is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with field offices across the United States. One of these offices is a a federally owned and operated research facility in McLean, Virginia named the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center. The Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC) isTFHRC is the home of the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) Office of Research, Development, and Technology.
TFHRC provides Federal Highway Administration and the world highway community with the most advanced research and development related to new highway technologies. The research focuses on providing solutions to complex technical problems through the development of more economical, environmentally sensitive designs; more efficient, quality controlled constructions practices; and more durable materials. The expertise of TFHRC scientists and engineers encompasses more than 100 transportation-related disciplines that are put to use in the research laboratories housed at TFHRC. These laboratories provide a vital resource for advancing the body of knowledge that has been created and developed by our researchers. The end result is a safer, more reliable highway transportation system.
The Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC) is located at 6300 Georgetown Pike in McLean, VA22101. If you’re looking for a home in close proximity to TFHRC you might want to check in Langley.