As large numbers of people age, an increasing percentage finds stairs a challenge.
Housing safety experts say climbing stairs can be good exercise for older people, but the stairs should be safe. Among the things that need to be done to increase the safety factor are:
- Add lighting at both the top and the bottom.
- Put stair railings on both sides.
- Make sure it is easy to see individual treads by adding visual contrast.
- Consider an elevator or a lift.
- Consider remodeling in order to live on one floor only.
Source: Washington Post, Maryann Haggerty (08/14/2010)