Are renters in Winchester required to obtain renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that tenants in Winchester to pay for a renter's insurance policy. However, our leases require that renters buy a renter's insurance policy to cover losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, tenant negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental dwelling. A landlord’s insurance policy protects the property from loss, but not the tenant’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a handy source for rental investors in Winchester
- Before you put a renter in your property in Winchester
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds renters
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Winchester property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Winchester
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental
- When owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Winchester