The winter season is fast approaching and your home in Alexandria needs to be ready for the hard cold winter air. These simple tips can assist homeowners in Alexandria to get their home prepped for the winter season. The outdoors of your home will face the full brunt of the winter season and as such it is important to ensure that you perform these tasks to ensure it can withstand the winter.
- Check your gutters to ensure they are clean. If there are any leakages or any cracks hire a professional to fix these issues.
- Get a professional to do some checks on your sprinkler system to avoid frozen pipes or cracks which can create problems for the system after the winter.
- If you have a deck apply a coat of sealer to protect it from the winter elements.
- Call in a roof professional to inspect your roof for any damaged shingles. The professional will perform an infrared roof inspection which will detail the areas of the roof where heat is escaping.
- Weatherproof your windows by installing energy efficient double-paned windows. Keeping your windows winter ready will ensure your home in Alexandria remains warm.
While the outdoors of your home in Alexandria will face heavy winter air, it is also important to ensure the indoors of your home is ready for the winter season. These tips can provide a warm indoors for the winter.
- Replace the filter in your furnace and close any vents that you had opened for the warm weather. Ensure you do a complete test on your heating system before the cold air hits.
- Clean your chimneys and wood stoves. Don’t forget to clean the furnace flue and ensure it is tightly shut when closed.
- Check electrical outlets and add some insulation to prevent warm air from escaping.
- Keep your home stocked up with extra water, food, flashlights and replacement batteries. Also ensure you have shovels on hand to remove any excess snow.
Performing these small tasks can help to winterize your home in Alexandria.