What we look for in Winchester tenants
In Winchester, our management staff wants to deal with reliable renters. Here are some of the traits we look for.
- A desirable renter pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A good tenant is trustworthy. A desirable renter does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A great tenant is fussy about cleanliness. A great renter does not bring pests like rodents and bugs.
- A trustworthy renter does not misuse the home.
- A trustworthy tenant is courteous and pleasant to work with. A great tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A trustworthy tenant doesn't annoy neighbors.
- A desirable tenant complains at appropriate times. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause head-aches for property managers.
- A reliable renter doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a great tenant doesn't ask to upgrade functioning systems. A good renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A reliable renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- An ideal renter does not smoke in the property.
- A good renter is looking for a rental term that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the home.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find tenants who measure up to this ideal? Experience has taught us that difficult tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with great jobs. We have a knack for sniffing out difficult renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Winchester based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge applicants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our staff at the outset, they will probably be trying as renters. If a potential renter is dishonest, we can expect them to be unreliable as a renter. If a person has troubles finding money for background fees and the first month of rent, we will expect that same potential tenant will have problems while they are in the rental.
But even if every appearance initially is good we still check the background of every person with a full background check. Every potential tenant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Winchester Property Management Resources
a good archive for landlords in Winchester
- Before you put a renter in your investment in Winchester
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Winchester rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Winchester
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Winchester
More Information About Winchester
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Winchester and the information which we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want know more about the community?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy tool for anyone who needs to find out more about Winchester and nearby areas. The Guide to Real Estate includes data about what has sold and what is currently listed, and some interesting facts that you might not know. Also, our Guide has quite a few of the fundamentals of living in Winchester. Yes, all of this is useful for buyers and sellers, but landlords and renters will also find this data to be quite enlightening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt