What we look for in Strasburg tenants
In Strasburg, our team likes to work with reasonable tenants. Here are a few of the traits we look for.
- A trustworthy renter pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A good tenant is trustworthy. A good tenant does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A great tenant is reasonably clean. A desirable renter does not bring pests such as rodents and bugs.
- An ideal tenant does not break the property or its systems.
- An ideal renter is courteous and nice to get along with. A great tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A reliable tenant doesn't disturb neighbors.
- A good tenant reports problems at appropriate times. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause problems for property managers.
- A great renter doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a trustworthy renter doesn't demand to replace functioning systems. A trustworthy tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A good tenant doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A great renter does not smoke in the rental.
- A reliable renter is looking for a rental term that is as long as the landlord wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find tenants who measure up to this standard? Experience has taught us that troublesome renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out difficult tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Strasburg based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge people based upon their track record and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our staff from the outset, they will probably be troublesome as tenants. If a potential tenant is dishonest, we will expect them to be unreliable as a tenant. If a n applicant has difficulty scrounging up fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we will expect that same potential tenant will have troubles while they are in the rental.
But even when every action initially is good we still check the background of every applicant with a complete background check. Every person and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Strasburg Property Management Resources
a free reference for rental investors in Strasburg
- Before you rent out your investment in Strasburg
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your rental manager handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds renters
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Strasburg landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Strasburg
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Strasburg
More Information About Strasburg
After the background check is reviewed we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Strasburg and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the real estate investor decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want know more about the community?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a free tool for everyone who hopes to learn more about Strasburg and surrounding communities. The Guide to Real Estate compiles data about what has sold and what is on the market, and a few shocking facts that you may not be aware of. In addition, our Guide spotlights some elements of living in Strasburg. Of course, all of this is interesting for purchasers and sellers, but owners and renters should also find these tools to be somewhat enlightening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt