What we look for in Castleton renters
In Castleton, Nesbitt Realty wants to deal with reliable tenants. Here are some of the traits we look for.
- A great renter pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A desirable renter is honest. A reliable renter does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A great tenant is fastidious. A reliable tenant does not bring pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A reliable renter does not destroy systems.
- A desirable tenant is courteous and pleasant to get along with. A great renter knows the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- An ideal renter doesn't annoy neighbors.
- A desirable renter complains at appropriate times. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause problems for property managers.
- An ideal tenant doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that an ideal tenant doesn't ask to upgrade functioning systems. A trustworthy tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. An ideal renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A reliable renter does not smoke in the home.
- A great tenant is looking for a rental term that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the home.
So this is what we're looking for in a renter, but how do we find tenants who measure up to this ideal? Experience has taught us that unreasonable renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out difficult tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential renters in Castleton based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge people based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the start, they will probably be trying as tenants. If a n applicant lies, we will expect them to be untrustworthy as a renter. If a potential tenant has troubles finding fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same potential tenant will have difficulty while they are in the rental.
But even when every appearance initially is promising we still check the background of every applicant with a full background check. Every potential tenant and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Castleton Rental Management Resources
a handy archive for landlords in Castleton
- Before you lease out your property in Castleton
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Castleton property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Castleton
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Castleton
More Information About Castleton
After the background check is finished we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Castleton and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Should you understand more about our area?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a free resource for anyone who hopes to find out more about Castleton and surrounding communities. The Guide to Real Estate compiles facts about what has sold and what is currently listed, and many compelling facts that you might not be aware of. In addition, our Guide highlights quite a few of the assets of living in Castleton. Of course, all of this is helpful for buyers and sellers, but rental investors and renters should also find this data to be somewhat eye-opening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt