What we seek in Luray tenants
In Luray, Nesbitt Realty likes to deal with dependable renters. Here are some of the traits we expect.
- A desirable renter pays the rent when due every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- An ideal tenant is honest. A trustworthy tenant does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A good tenant is neat. A trustworthy tenant does not attract pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A great tenant does not overwork the property or its systems.
- A great tenant is courteous and easy to get along with. A trustworthy tenant knows the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- An ideal tenant doesn't disturb neighbors.
- A desirable tenant complains when appropriate. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost landlords money and cause problems for property managers.
- A reliable tenant doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a good renter doesn't demand to upgrade functioning systems. An ideal renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A good renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A trustworthy tenant does not smoke in the rental.
- A trustworthy tenant is looking for a rental term that is as long as the owner wants to rent the home.
So this is what we're looking for in a renter, but how do we find tenants who live up to this standard? Experience has taught us that troublesome renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with great jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out troublesome renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge applicants in Luray based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge people based upon their reputation and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the start, they will probably be rude as renters. If a potential tenant is caught fabricating facts, we will expect them to be unreliable as a renter. If a person has difficulty finding certified fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same applicant will have problems while they are in the rental.
But even if every appearance initially is good we still check the background of every potential tenant with a full background check. Every applicant and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Luray Rental Management Resources
a free source for landlords in Luray
- Before you rent out your rental in Luray
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Luray landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Luray
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Luray
More Information About Luray
After the background check is reviewed we make a recommendation to the landlord based upon our experience as property managers in Luray and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the real estate investor decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want know more about the area?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy resource for anyone who wants to investigate real estate facts about Luray and nearby communities. The Guide to Real Estate includes information regarding what has sold and what is on the market, as well as a couple of shocking facts that you might not know. Not to mention, our Guide has some aspects of living in Luray. Yes, most of this is useful for buyers and sellers, but real estate investors and tenants should also find these resources to be very sobering.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt