What we look for in Manassas renters
In Manassas, Nesbitt Realty likes to work with reliable tenants. Here are a few of the traits we seek out.
- A desirable renter pays the rent when due every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A trustworthy renter is honest. An ideal renter does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A good renter is fastidious. A great renter does not attract pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A reliable tenant does not misuse the property or its systems.
- A desirable tenant is courteous and pleasant to get along with. An ideal tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- An ideal tenant doesn't annoy neighbors.
- A good tenant reports problems at appropriate times. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost landlords money and cause issues for property managers.
- A reliable renter doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a good renter doesn't demand to replace functioning systems. A desirable tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. An ideal renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- An ideal renter does not smoke in the property.
- A great renter is looking for a rental term that is as long as the landlord wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a renter, but how do we find renters who measure up to this standard? Experience has taught us that difficult renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out tardy tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential renters in Manassas based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge potential renters based upon their reputation and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the beginning, they will probably be troublesome as renters. If a n applicant is dishonest, we will expect them to be unreliable as a tenant. If a n applicant has difficulty producing money for background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same person will have troubles during the lease.
But even when every appearance initially is promising we still check the background of every potential renter with a complete background check. Every potential tenant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Manassas Rental Management Resources
a good archive for landlords in Manassas
- Before you move a tenant into your rental property in Manassas
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds renters
- Insurance matters for rental investors using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Manassas rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Manassas
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Manassas
More Information About Manassas
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the real estate investor based upon our experience as property managers in Manassas and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want understand more about the area?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a helpful resource for everyone who hopes to review important real estate information about Manassas and nearby communities. The Guide to Real Estate includes data regarding what has sold and what is on the market, and many shocking facts that you may not know. Also, our Guide spotlights many of the assets of living in Manassas. As a matter of course, all of this is helpful for buyers and sellers, but property owners and tenants should also find the facts to be very enlightening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt