What we look for in Harrisonburg renters
In Harrisonburg, Nesbitt Realty prefers to deal with reasonable renters. Here are some of the traits we look for.
- A great tenant pays the rent when due every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A desirable tenant is trustworthy. A reliable renter does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A good tenant is neat. A good tenant does not attract pests like rodents and bugs.
- A good tenant does not destroy the property or its systems.
- A reliable renter is courteous and pleasant to work with. A reliable renter understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A great renter doesn't annoy neighbors.
- An ideal tenant complains when appropriate. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost real estate investors money and cause problems for property managers.
- A reliable renter doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a reliable renter doesn't demand to replace functioning systems. A great tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A reliable renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A desirable tenant does not smoke in the home.
- An ideal renter is looking for a lease that is as long as the owner wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a renter, but how do we find renters who live up to this standard? Experience has taught us that difficult renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with great jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out troublesome tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential renters in Harrisonburg based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge potential tenants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our staff from the outset, they will probably be difficult as tenants. If a potential tenant makes false statements, we will expect them to be untrustworthy as a renter. If a person has troubles finding money for background fees and the first month of rent, we will expect that same applicant will have problems during the lease.
But even if every appearance initially is promising we still vet every potential renter with a complete background check. Every potential tenant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Harrisonburg Rental Management Resources
a useful reference for landlords in Harrisonburg
- Before you lease out your rental property in Harrisonburg
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the property owner get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Harrisonburg owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Harrisonburg
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Harrisonburg
More Information About Harrisonburg
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the landlord based upon our experience as property managers in Harrisonburg and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the owner decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want understand more about our community?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy resource for anyone who wants to learn more about Harrisonburg and neighboring communities. The Guide to Real Estate provides information about what has sold and what is on the market, and a couple of shocking facts that you might not be aware of. Also, our Guide spotlights quite a few of the aspects of life in Harrisonburg. Of course, most of this is interesting for purchasers and sellers, but property owners and renters might also find these resources to be very sobering.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt