What we look for in Middletown tenants
In Middletown, Nesbitt Realty wants to work with dependable renters. Here are a few of the traits we look for.
- A tenant pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A tenant has integrity. A tenant does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A tenant is fastidious. A renter does not attract pests like rodents and bugs.
- A tenant does not break the home.
- A tenant is courteous and pleasant to work with. A renter understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A tenant doesn't bother neighbors.
- A tenant reports problems when appropriate. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause issues for property managers.
- A renter doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a renter doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A tenant does not smoke in the property.
- A tenant is looking for a lease that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the rental.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find renters who live up to this standard? Experience has taught us that unreasonable tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with jobs. We have a knack for sniffing out troublesome tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential renters in Middletown based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge people based upon their track record and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our managers from the start, they will probably be difficult as tenants. If a is dishonest, we will expect them to be untrustworthy as a tenant. If a has a problem finding money for background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same potential renter will have troubles during the lease.
But even when every statement initially is good we still check the background of every person with a complete background check. Every applicant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Middletown Property Management Resources
a handy archive for rental investors in Middletown
- Before you move a tenant into your rental in Middletown
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds renters
- Insurance matters for property owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Middletown owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Middletown
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Middletown
More Information About Middletown
After the background check is finished we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as property managers in Middletown and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the property owner decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want know more about this community?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a handy resource for anyone who hopes to learn more about Middletown and neighboring areas. The Guide to Real Estate has information regarding what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as many shocking facts that you may not be aware of. In addition, our Guide features some aspects of life in Middletown. Of course, all of this is helpful for purchasers and sellers, but owners and tenants will also find the facts to be somewhat eye-opening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt