What we seek in Middletown tenants
In Middletown, Nesbitt Realty prefers to deal with reasonable tenants. Here are a few of the traits we look for.
- An ideal renter pays the rent on time every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A good renter has integrity. An ideal renter does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A trustworthy renter is reasonably clean. A good tenant does not bring pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A trustworthy renter does not misuse the home.
- A good tenant is courteous and nice to work with. A good tenant knows the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A good tenant doesn't bother neighbors.
- An ideal renter complains when appropriate. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause issues for property managers.
- A desirable tenant doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that a reliable tenant doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A desirable tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A trustworthy renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A good tenant does not smoke in the rental.
- A good tenant is looking for a lease that is as long as the property owner wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find tenants who live up to this standard? Experience has taught us that unreasonable renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with great jobs. We have a knack for sniffing out tardy renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge applicants in Middletown based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however assess potential tenants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our managers from the beginning, they will probably be trying as tenants. If a person lies, we will expect them to be dishonest as a tenant. If a person has a problem finding fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we will expect that same potential tenant will have problems while they are in the rental.
But even if every appearance initially is promising we still vet each applicant with a full background check. Every person and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Middletown Rental Management Resources
a useful source for rental investors in Middletown
- Before you move a tenant into your rental property in Middletown
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds renters
- Insurance matters for rental investors using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Middletown landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Middletown
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Middletown
More Information About Middletown
After the background check is finished we make a recommendation to the real estate investor based upon our experience as rental managers in Middletown and the information which we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Should you understand more about the local real estate market?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a handy tool for anyone who needs to review important real estate information about Middletown and neighboring communities. The Guide to Real Estate provides data regarding what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as a couple of interesting facts that you might not be aware of. In addition, our Guide features quite a few of the benefits of residing in Middletown. Certainly, all of this is helpful for purchasers and sellers, but property owners and renters will also find these tools to be quite useful.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt