What we look for in Clifton renters
In Clifton, our team likes to work with dependable tenants. Here are some of the traits we look for.
- A renter pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A tenant is trustworthy. A tenant does not sneak in a co-renter or pet.
- A tenant is fussy about cleanliness. A renter does not attract pests like rodents and bugs.
- A tenant does not misuse the home.
- A renter is courteous and easy to get along with. A renter knows the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A tenant doesn't bother neighbors.
- A renter reports problems when appropriate. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause head-aches for property managers.
- A renter doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a tenant doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A tenant doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A renter does not smoke in the property.
- A tenant is looking for a rental term that is as long as the owner wants to rent the rental.
So this is what we're looking for in a renter, but how do we find renters who measure up to this standard? Experience has taught us that difficult renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out tardy renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential tenants in Clifton based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge applicants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is rude to our managers at the start, they will probably be difficult as renters. If a is dishonest, we will expect them to be unreliable as a renter. If a has a problem producing certified fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same applicant will have troubles while they are in the rental.
But even if every statement initially is good we still check the background of each potential tenant with a complete background check. Every person and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Clifton Rental Management Resources
a useful source for property owners in Clifton
- Before you put a renter in your property in Clifton
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the property owner get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Clifton property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Clifton
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Clifton
More Information About Clifton
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the property owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Clifton and the information which we have verified. Ultimately the landlord decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you want know more about our community?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a free tool for everyone who wants to investigate real estate facts about Clifton and nearby areas. The Guide to Real Estate compiles information about what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as a few shocking facts that you might not know. In addition, our Guide has quite a few of the aspects of living in Clifton. Yes, all of this is useful for buyers and sellers, but property owners and renters should also find the facts to be very informative.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt