What we seek in Dunn Loring tenants
In Dunn Loring, Nesbitt Realty likes to deal with reasonable renters. Here are a few of the traits we look for.
- An ideal tenant pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A great renter has integrity. A reliable tenant does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A good tenant is fussy about cleanliness. An ideal tenant does not bring pests like rodents and bugs.
- A trustworthy renter does not damage systems.
- A trustworthy renter is courteous and nice to work with. A good tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A reliable tenant doesn't annoy neighbors.
- A great tenant complains at appropriate times. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost real estate investors money and cause problems for property managers.
- A trustworthy tenant doesn't complain when it's not appropriate. This means that an ideal renter doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A reliable renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. An ideal renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A trustworthy tenant does not smoke in the property.
- A trustworthy tenant is looking for a lease that is as long as the landlord wants to rent the property.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find tenants who live up to this standard? Experience has taught us that troublesome tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out tardy tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge potential renters in Dunn Loring based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge potential renters based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the outset, they will probably be trying as renters. If a person makes false statements, we can expect them to be dishonest as a renter. If a potential renter has troubles scrounging up fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same applicant will have troubles while they are in the rental.
But even if every statement initially is good we still vet each potential renter with a full background check. Every potential tenant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as property managers we start our vetting process.
Dunn Loring Rental Management Resources
a free source for rental investors in Dunn Loring
- Before you lease out your rental property in Dunn Loring
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds renters
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Dunn Loring owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Dunn Loring
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Dunn Loring
More Information About Dunn Loring
After the background check is reviewed we make a recommendation to the real estate investor based upon our experience as property managers in Dunn Loring and the information which we have verified. Ultimately the real estate investor decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you need understand more about our area?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a helpful tool for anyone who hopes to find out more about Dunn Loring and nearby communities. The Guide to Real Estate has information about what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as many compelling facts that you may not know. Also, our Guide features some assets of life in Dunn Loring. As a matter of course, all of this is helpful for purchasers and sellers, but landlords and renters may also find these resources to be somewhat edifying.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt