What we look for in Fairfax renters
In Fairfax, Nesbitt Realty likes to deal with good renters. Here are a few of the traits we expect.
- A desirable tenant pays the rent on time every time. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A reliable renter is honest. A desirable renter does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A reliable renter is reasonably clean. A good renter does not bring pests like rodents and bugs.
- A reliable renter does not misuse the property.
- A good renter is courteous and pleasant to get along with. A good tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A desirable renter doesn't bother neighbors.
- A trustworthy renter reports problems at appropriate times. Renters that don't report maintenance issues cost property owners money and cause issues for property managers.
- A reliable renter doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a reliable tenant doesn't ask to replace functioning systems. A reliable renter doesn't expect more than the lease provides. A trustworthy renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the tenant doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- An ideal renter does not smoke in the property.
- A great tenant is looking for a rental term that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the home.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find renters who measure up to this standard? Experience has taught us that tardy tenants can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out troublesome tenants.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Fairfax based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however judge potential tenants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the outset, they will probably be difficult as renters. If a potential renter is dishonest, we will expect them to be dishonest as a tenant. If a potential tenant has a problem producing money for background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same potential renter will have problems during the lease.
But even if every appearance initially is good we still check the background of each potential tenant with a full background check. Every potential renter and occupant must submit a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Fairfax Rental Management Resources
a free source for rental investors in Fairfax
- Before you move a tenant into your rental in Fairfax
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds renters
- Insurance matters for property owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Fairfax landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Fairfax
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Fairfax
More Information About Fairfax
After the background check is complete we make a recommendation to the real estate investor based upon our experience as rental managers in Fairfax and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the real estate investor decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Should you know more about our local real estate market?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a helpful resource for anyone who needs to review important real estate information about Fairfax and surrounding areas. The Guide to Real Estate includes information about what has sold and what is on the market, as well as a couple of interesting facts that you may not know. Not to mention, our Guide has quite a few of the fundamentals of life in Fairfax. Of course, most of this is helpful for purchasers and sellers, but landlords and renters might also find the facts to be quite enlightening.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt