What we look for in Ballston tenants
In Ballston, Nesbitt Realty prefers to work with good tenants. Here are a few of the traits we expect.
- A good tenant pays the rent when due every month. This means paying on or before the first, rather than at 5 pm on the 5th.
- A reliable tenant is honest. A good tenant does not sneak in a co-tenant or pet.
- A desirable renter is reasonably clean. A trustworthy renter does not attract pests such as rodents and bugs.
- A desirable renter does not damage the property.
- An ideal tenant is courteous and easy to work with. A desirable tenant understands the difference between a property manager and a hotel concierge.
- A trustworthy tenant doesn't bother neighbors.
- A great renter reports problems when appropriate. tenants that don't report maintenance issues cost real estate investors money and cause issues for property managers.
- A good renter doesn't gripe when it's not appropriate. This means that a reliable tenant doesn't ask to upgrade functioning systems. A desirable tenant doesn't expect more than the lease provides. An ideal renter doesn't complain that an appliance doesn't work when the renter doesn't know how to operate the appliance.
- A desirable tenant does not smoke in the property.
- A trustworthy renter is looking for a lease that is as long as the real estate investor wants to rent the home.
So this is what we're looking for in a tenant, but how do we find renters who measure up to this ideal? Experience has taught us that tardy renters can appear as polite, nicely-dress, well educated people with good jobs. We have a nose for sniffing out tardy renters.
Our Five Step Process
Fair Housing Laws and our conscience dictates that we do not judge people in Ballston based upon appearance. Experience has taught us that appearances can be very decieving. We do however assess applicants based upon their history and their actions. If a applicant is difficult with our staff at the beginning, they will probably be trying as tenants. If a potential renter makes false statements, we can expect them to be dishonest as a tenant. If a person has a problem finding fundsfor background fees and the first month of rent, we can expect that same applicant will have troubles while they are in the rental.
But even when every appearance initially is promising we still check the background of each potential renter with a full background check. Every applicant and occupant must provide a government-issue photo identification. From there, as rental we start our vetting process.
Ballston Property Management Resources
a useful archive for rental investors in Ballston
- Before you move a tenant into your rental property in Ballston
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Ballston rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Ballston
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Ballston
More Information About Ballston
After the background check is finished we make a recommendation to the owner based upon our experience as rental managers in Ballston and the information that we have verified. Ultimately the owner decides if the risk is worth taking, but they make that decision based upon facts and our expert advice.
Do you need know more about our area?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a helpful resource for anyone who hopes to learn more about Ballston and nearby areas. The Guide to Real Estate includes data regarding what has sold and what is currently listed, and a couple of surprising facts that you might not be aware of. Not to mention, our Guide features quite a few of the assets of residing in Ballston. As might be expected, all of this is interesting for purchasers and sellers, but rental investors and renters may also find this information to be somewhat edifying.
Our Broker Will Nesbitt
"I am by nature a trusting person, but this business has taught me to verify every statement that a tenant makes. Scammers and bad tenants can sometimes give every appearance of being trustworthy and upright people. We never cut corners on background checks." ~ Will Nesbitt
I like tenants that pay on time. Late paying tenants cause extra work and unnecessary stress for landlords and property managers. ~ Julie Nesbitt