In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Riverton
After a period of owning a rental, landlords can decide to sell their rental. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rental units at best market value for our former landlord clients in Riverton.
If you decide you would like to sell your rental property, Talk to us and we'll begin by preparing a comparative market analysis to help figure out what your rental property will likely fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll really net at the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to landlords in Riverton that have owned rental unit for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a rental investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental property and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A landlord has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same property owner chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example demonstrates, exchanges shelter landlords from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is crucial to have a comprehensive knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can reveal opportunities that might have otherwise been overlooked.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale happens when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our investor clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of an issue lately.
But, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can clarify the ramifications of a short-sale help you decide if that option is best for you and your rental property.
Do you need understand more about this local real estate market?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a free resource for anyone who wants to review important real estate information about Riverton and surrounding areas. The Guide to Real Estate has data regarding what has sold and what is on the market, and many surprising facts that you may not be aware of. Furthermore, our Guide features many of the benefits of life in Riverton. Yes, all of this is useful for buyers and sellers, but property owners and tenants will likely also find the facts to be somewhat enlightening.
a handy archive for landlords in Riverton
- Before you move a tenant into your rental property in Riverton
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Riverton landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Riverton
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Riverton