In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Rockingham County
After a period of service as a rental property, real estate investors can choose to sell their rental. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rentals at best market value for our former landlord clients in Rockingham County.
If you decide you would like to sell your property, Email us and we'll start by preparing a comparative market analysis to help determine what your rental will probably fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll really take away from the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to rental investors in Rockingham County that have held rental property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a real estate investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A rental investor has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same landlord chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example demonstrates, exchanges protect rental investors from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is important to have a good working knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can uncover opportunities that might have otherwise been dismissed.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale occurs when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our landlord clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental property. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of a concern lately.
On the other hand, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can explain to you the ramifications of a short-sale help you decide if that option is best for you and your rental unit.
Do you need understand more about the community?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a free tool for everyone who needs to investigate real estate facts about Rockingham County and neighboring communities. The Guide to Real Estate includes information regarding what has sold and what is for sale, as well as many shocking facts that you might not know. And, our Guide spotlights quite a few of the benefits of living in Rockingham County. As might be expected, most of this is interesting for purchasers and sellers, but landlords and renters will probably also find these tools to be quite useful.
a handy source for property owners in Rockingham County
- Before you lease out your property in Rockingham County
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for property owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Rockingham County landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Rockingham County
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Rockingham County