In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Chester Gap
After a period of service as a property, real estate investors often decide to sell their property. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rentals at best market value for our former landlord clients in Chester Gap.
If you decide you would like to sell your rental, Phone us and we'll begin by preparing a comparative market analysis to help determine what your property will likely fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll actually take away from the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to real estate investors in Chester Gap that have owned rental property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a real estate investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new property and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A property owner has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same rental investor chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example demonstrates, exchanges shelter rental investors from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is important to have a good working knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can reveal opportunities that might have otherwise been overlooked.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale happens when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our landlord clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their property. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of an issue lately.
Nevertheless, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can go over the consequences of a short-sale help you decide if that choice is best for you and your property.
Do you want know more about the local real estate market?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a free resource for anyone who hopes to learn more about Chester Gap and surrounding areas. The Guide to Real Estate includes facts regarding what has sold and what is on the market, and a couple of surprising facts that you might not know. Also, our Guide spotlights many of the fundamentals of living in Chester Gap. Of course, most of this is helpful for purchasers and sellers, but real estate investors and renters might also find the facts to be somewhat eye-opening.
a useful reference for landlords in Chester Gap
- Before you put a renter in your property in Chester Gap
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your rental manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Chester Gap rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Chester Gap
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Chester Gap