In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Manassas Park
After a period of owning a rental property, landlords may choose to sell their rental. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rentals at best market value for our former landlord clients in Manassas Park.
If you decide you would like to sell your rental unit, Contact us and we'll start by preparing a comparative market analysis to help predict what your rental will likely fetch if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll really take away from the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to property owners in Manassas Park who have held rental property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a real estate investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental property and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A rental investor has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same landlord chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example shows, exchanges shelter rental investors from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is crucial to have a good working knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can uncover possibilities that might have otherwise been overlooked.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale happens when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our real estate investor clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of an issue lately.
But even so, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can go over the ramifications of a short-sale help you decide if that option is right for you and your rental.
Do you need understand more about the local real estate market?
Nesbitt Realty's Guide to Real Estate is a helpful resource for everyone who needs to review important real estate information about Manassas Park and nearby areas. The Guide to Real Estate compiles data about what has sold and what is currently listed, as well as many compelling facts that you might not be aware of. Also, our Guide spotlights many of the benefits of life in Manassas Park. As a matter of course, most of this is useful for purchasers and sellers, but owners and renters might also find these tools to be quite useful.
a handy archive for landlords in Manassas Park
- Before you rent out your rental in Manassas Park
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your rental manager handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for landlords using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Manassas Park rental investor responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Manassas Park
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Manassas Park