In addition to property management, Nesbitt Realty is a full-service real estate brokerage serving Manassas Park
After a period of owning a rental property, rental investors often decide to sell their property. Nesbitt Realty is a full service brokerage and we have successfully and quickly sold many rentals at best market value for our former property management clients in Manassas Park.
If you decide you would like to sell your rental property, Call us and we'll start by preparing a comparative market analysis to help figure out what your rental property can likely bring if sold. We'll also prepare estimated proceeds so you know how much you'll actually make after the settlement.
What is a 1031 Tax Exchange and how can it benefit me?
A 1031 Tax Exchange is usually of greatest benefit to property owners in Manassas Park who have held rental property for a longer period of time (more than ten years). Thanks to IRC Section 1031, a properly structured 1031 exchange allows a rental investor to sell a property, to reinvest the proceeds in a new rental property and to defer all capital gain taxes. IRC Section 1031 (a)(1) states:
“No gain or loss shall be recognized on the exchange of property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment, if such property is exchanged solely for property of like-kind which is to be held either for productive use in a trade or business or for investment.”
To understand the powerful protection a 1031 exchange offers, consider the following examples:
- A property owner has a $100,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of approximately $35,000 in combined taxes (depreciation recapture, federal and state capital gain taxes) when the property is sold. Only $65,000 remains to reinvest in another property.
Assuming a 25% down payment and a 75% loan-to-value ratio, the seller would only be able to purchase a $260,000 new property.
- If the same property owner chose to exchange, however, he or she would be able to reinvest the entire $100,000 of equity in the purchase of $400,000 in real estate, assuming the same down payment and loan-to-value ratios.
As the above example shows, exchanges shelter landlords from capital gain taxes as well as facilitating significant portfolio growth and increased return on investment. In order to access the full potential of these benefits, it is important to have a comprehensive knowledge of the exchange process and the IRC. For instance, an accurate understanding of the key term “like-kind” can uncover possibilities that could have otherwise been dismissed.
What is a short-sale?
A short-sale occurs when the seller sells a property for less than what is owed on the property. In the past, because of market contractions, some of our rental investor clients have found themselves in an untenable situation with regards to their rental property. In those cases the best way out was often a short sale. Quite frankly, due to market expansion and inflation, this has not been much of an issue lately.
Still, if you need it, members of our staff have CPDE (certified distressed property expert) training. We can explain to you the consequences of a short-sale help you decide if that option is right for you and your rental property.
Should you understand more about our area?
Our Guide to Real Estate is a helpful tool for anyone who hopes to review important real estate information about Manassas Park and surrounding communities. The Guide to Real Estate includes data regarding what has sold and what is on the market, as well as a couple of interesting facts that you might not be aware of. In addition, our Guide has quite a few of the assets of living in Manassas Park. Naturally, most of this is useful for purchasers and sellers, but real estate investors and tenants will probably also find these tools to be somewhat edifying.
a free archive for landlords in Manassas Park
- Before you move a tenant into your rental property in Manassas Park
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your property management company handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Manassas Park property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Manassas Park
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When landlords don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Manassas Park