Are tenants in Browntown required to obtain renter's insurance?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that tenants in Browntown to purchase a renter's insurance policy. However, our leases require that tenants obtain renter’s insurance to cover losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, renter negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental dwelling. A’s insurance policy protects the property from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.

Do you need advice about rental property management?

Talk to one of our experts about rental property in Virginia.