Are tenants in Features required to purchase renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that tenants in Features to buy a renter's insurance policy. However, leases prepared by our property managers require that tenants pay for renter’s insurance which pays for losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, renter negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental dwelling. A’s insurance policy protects the rental dwelling from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a useful reference for landlords in Features
- Before you put a renter in your rental in Features
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the tenant
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management finds tenants
- Insurance matters for rental investors using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Features landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Features
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Features