Are renters in Washington required to buy renter's insurance?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that tenants in Washington to purchase renter’s insurance. However, our leases require that renters purchase a renter's insurance policy which pays for losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, tenant negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental dwelling. A property owner’s insurance policy protects the rental property from loss, but not the tenant’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.

Meet Our Agents!

Local experienced agents ready to serve you!