Are tenants in Shenandoah required to buy renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that renters in Shenandoah to obtain a renter's insurance policy. However, our leases require that renters buy renter’s insurance which pays for losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, renter negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental dwelling. A landlord’s insurance policy protects the property from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a useful archive for property owners in Shenandoah
- Before you lease out your investment in Shenandoah
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your property manager handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds renters
- Insurance matters for landlords using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Shenandoah property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your property in Shenandoah
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Shenandoah