Are tenants in Harrisonburg required to buy renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that renters in Harrisonburg to buy renter’s insurance. However, our leases require that renters obtain a renter's insurance policy to cover losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, tenant negligence, or if someone is injured at the property. An owner’s insurance policy protects the rental property from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a free source for rental investors in Harrisonburg
- Before you rent out your rental property in Harrisonburg
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During tenancy
- End of tenancy and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the landlord get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt Realty finds tenants
- Insurance matters for owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Harrisonburg owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Harrisonburg
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your rental investment
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Harrisonburg