Are tenants in Falls Church required to buy renter's insurance?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that renters in Falls Church to obtain a renter's insurance policy. However, leases prepared by our property managers require that tenants buy renter’s insurance which pays for losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, renter negligence, or if someone is injured at the property. A property owner’s insurance policy protects the property from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.