Are renters in Lorton required to buy renter's insurance?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that tenants in Lorton to obtain a renter's insurance policy. However, our leases require that tenants purchase renter’s insurance which pays for losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, tenant negligence, or if someone is injured at the rental property. A’s insurance policy protects the rental property from loss, but not the renter’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.

Do you need a rental property manager?

Learn more about our rental management services. We service landlords in Virginia.