Are renters in Arlington required to pay for renter's insurance?
The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require that renters in Arlington to pay for renter’s insurance. However, leases prepared by our property managers require that tenants obtain renter’s insurance to cover losses of the tenant's personal property due to theft, fire, tenant negligence, or if someone is injured at the property. An owner’s insurance policy protects the rental dwelling from loss, but not the tenant’s personal property if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Please contact your insurance agent to let them know that you are putting your property into service.
a handy source for rental investors in Arlington
- Before you lease out your rental property in Arlington
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a renter breaks the lease
- How does the owner get paid?
- How your management company handles the association and your community
- How your property manager handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds renters
- Insurance matters for owners using our rental management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Arlington property owner responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental property in Arlington
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting tenants in Arlington