What happens in Rockingham County when the lease is over?
At the end of the lease in Rockingham County, either party can opt to end the tenancy. The owner could choose not to renew the lease or the renter could choose to not to renew the lease. If the landlord wishes to end the lease, or end our property management services, please send us written notice as described in your rental management agreement.
When we don't receive such notice, we will strive to make choices that will keep your property producing the highest possible net income. This means that we will usually contact a tenant 6 to 8 weeks before the end of the lease in order to renew the lease.
At that point we give the tenant two choices:
- Month-to-month --- This will include a large rent increase.
- Renew the lease --- This will lock the rental property up for another year with a small rent increase.
When renters break the lease
Sometimes circumstances arise that require a renter to break the lease. If this happens, Nesbitt Realty tries to minimize the impact of this event on the rental investor. If a tenant leaves with little or no notice, this will surely cause the renter to lose the deposit but this is never a windfall for the rental owner. That money is consumed by paying for vacancy and the cost of acquiring a new tenant .
Readying the rental
We will have the carpet professional cleaned upon renter move-out and the actual cost of carpeting will be deducted from the renter 's security deposit, per your lease.
We recommend that the rental investor replace the carpet every 5 to 7 years. We recommend that the rental owner paint every 5 to 7 years.
During vacancies we will either put the utilities in our name or in the property owner's name.
a free source for property owners in Rockingham County
- Before you lease out your rental property in Rockingham County
- Collections and evictions
- Communications with the renter
- During the lease term
- End of lease term and what happens when a tenant breaks the lease
- How does the rental investor get paid?
- How your rental manager handles the association and your community
- How your property management company handles utilities
- How Nesbitt finds tenants
- Insurance matters for property owners using our property management
- How Nesbitt Realty & Management manage keys
- Rockingham County landlord responsibilities
- Maintenance, repairs & inspections for your rental investment in Rockingham County
- The move-in inspection
- Property management information form
- Selling a 1031 tax exchange & more
- Starting our management of your property
- When property owners don't yet know their new address
- Vetting renters in Rockingham County