Near the intersection of Rt. 1 and Old Mount Vernon Highway lies Riverside Estates, a somewhat private and hidden placed tucked near a Potomac tributary. Despite its privacy and serenity, Riverside Estates is located near a highway that allows for easy access to many Northern Virginia hotspots, including Fort Belvoir, Old Town, the Metro, Reagan National Airport and the Pentagon.
Because of its privacy, this neighborhood is desirable, and the homes fit the community’s beautiful peacefulness. Built primarily in the 1960s, the homes come in many varieties and have received renovations and upgrades.
Duke Street is a popular and vivacious street in Alexandria. It is lined with offices, high-rises, shops, and restaurants. It is quite the eclectic mix of old and new. Alexandria is rich with history and full of new life as it has grown to be one of Northern Virginia’s top places to settle. Local delicacies are easy to find and the adventurer never gets bored.
Landmark Mall caters to traditional shoppers with stores such as Sears, Macy’s, and Victoria Secret. There is plenty to do to pass the time. Walking down the street you can explore various international cuisines such as Mayur Indian Restaurant. This is fine Indian dining that any palate could enjoy. You have a number of choices if you prefer Asian, Italian, or American cuisine. Whatever your taste buds desire, you will not be disappointed.
There is no shortage of history with civil war reenactments, 200 year old buildings, and monuments. Tourists are amazed at the amount of historic richness that the city itself has managed to preserve and pass on from generation to generation. Walking down Duke can almost transport you back in time but you are quickly reminded that it is 2011 by all of the modern hot spots available.
Located in the heart of one of 2011 Dozen Distinctive Destination winners, this street is sure to leave a memorable impression. Its year round draw has kept visitors swarming in year after year.
Located near Ferry Landing Road and Forest Haven in southern Fairfax County, Mount Vernon Park sits beautifully under shade provided by mature trees. In fact, that’s how this community got its name: The trees give it a park-like feel.
While it’s in a peaceful, cul-de-sac area, residents have many options. The Potomac River, Mount Vernon Mansion and Mount Vernon Country Club aren’t far from the community. Plus, commuters will enjoy its proximity to the GW Parkway.
While many of these homes were built in the mid to late 1950s, they’ve been renovated to provide a feeling of modern yet classic charm.
Boasting its Victorian architectural beauty, the Lee- Fendall House interprets the life and living of the Lee family from 1850 to 1870 with the well restored house and cared for garden. The Lee-Fendall House is situated in the Historic District of Old Town Alexandria on Lee Corner, at the junction of North Washington and Oronoco Streets within the neighborhood where other Lee Homes were located in the 18th and 19th centuries.
General Robert E. Lee’s father, Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee who was a revolutionary war hero, sold the piece of land situated at the corner of Oronoco Street to his cousin Philip Richard Fendall who later on built his family home on this land in 1785. The Lee family resided on this land from 1785 to 1903 even when the Union Army had taken over the property to establish a hospital for its soldiers in 1863. After the departure of the last Lee member from the property, Robert Downham resided in the house till 1937 when he conveyed the property to John L. Lewin, who in turn lived there till his death in 1969.
The half acre garden of the Lee-Fendall House is a well managed garden overseen by the Alexandria Council of Garden Clubs consisting of 24 garden clubs ever since 1974. A variety of heritage roses, collection of herbs, English boxwoods, Black Walnut Trees, Gingko, Magnolia Grandiflora and scampering squirrels along with the tombstone of Philip R. Fendall’s mother, Eleanor Fendall can be found in this cared for garden.
The Lee- Fendall House Museum and Garden is located at 614 Oronoco Street in Alexandria VA 22314. For more information about tours, events, rentals and the like, please call 703 548 1789 or visit www.leefendallhouse.org.
Established in 1974 with a mission to reduce homelessness, increase community support and promote self sufficiency, the Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services is operated by a multi-denominational board of directors and staff managing over 70 housing units.
Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services is located in the Mount Zephyr Business Center at 8305 Richmond Highway, Suite 17B, corner of Richmond Highway and Reddick Avenue of Alexandria VA. Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services have been serving the areas by I-495 to the north, I-95 to the west, Potomac River top the west and the Occoquan River to the south, covering the Lee and Mount Vernon Districts of Fairfax County and the entire Fairfax County, including the county’s Planning Districts with Mount Vernon and Rose Hill Districts, Lower Potomac District and the eastern part of the Springfield District.
Programs of Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services:
Apartments Budgeting Counseling
Assistance to people who have been denied housing due to bad credit or poor rental history as an alternative to homeless shelter by letting people rent while assisting in rental reference concerns and cleaning up their credit.
Application for assistance for grant costing up to $250 to help in preventing evictions and utility disconnections including assistance with the first rent or security deposit.
Housing as Top Priority
To prevent homelessness, services are offered for affordable housing including guidance, support and financial assistance for families near to homelessness.
Housing Locator Program
Housing Search Assistance is offered for people near to homelessness as part of the federal Homeless Prevention and Rapid Housing Program. Partners of the program are FACETS, Housing and Community Services of Northern Virginia, New Hope Housing, Fairfax County Office to Prevent and End Homelessness, Reston Interfaith, Shelter House and more.
Financial education is provided and low income families and individuals of Good Shepherd Housing apartment programs, are given the opportunity to learn how to clean up their credit history and discover new money management skills leading to financial independence.
Regardless of families of Good Shepherd Housing apartment programs having low incomes, children are offered educational, social and recreational activities with school supplies, holiday gifts and paid for after school activities and summer camps.
Support given to the Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services will assist in reducing homelessness, increase community support and promote the potential for self sufficiency through the programs that serve the working poor, disabled and elderly. Ways to help Good Shepherd Housing and Family Service:
Donation of Computer Packages
Donation of Cars and Trucks
Donation of Home Kits such as Cleaning Supplies and Household Items
For more information on the other ways of how to help, please visit: http://www.goodhousing.org/help/.
Volunteers are welcomed at Good Shepherd Housing and Family Services to provide the following services:
Front Desk Reception
Spanish Speakers/ Translators
Other Possible Assistance Once Can Offer
Alderson, Richard (Dick) - Business development and strategic programming for EMC Federal
Amundson, Kristen - Communications Manager at Education Sector; former Delegate in Virginia General Assembly; former Chair of Fairfax County School Board
Bailey, Willie - Fairfax County Firefighter, Retired Army Reserves
Catlin, James - Executive Vice President – Prosper (an online lending marketplace)
Ellsworth, Cheryl - Attorney specializing in international trade, Customs and antitrust law
Gillespie, Cathy - Current stay at home mother, former Campaign and Congressional staff member for Joe Barton, former Executive Director of Texas Freedom Fund Political Action Committee
Goode, Ron - Commercial Developer, John Akridge Company
Hyland, Ann - Retired Speech Pathologist, Ombudsman for Northern Virginia Long-Term Care program
Lettice, Paula (Secretary) - Chief Financial Officer, Architect of the U.S. Capitol; Trustee, Trinity (DC) University
Martin, J. Chris (Treasurer) - Manager, Business Analysis at Exxon-Mobil; president of civic association
McCormick, Jr., Walter B. - President & CEO of the United States Telecom Association
Meade, Louise - Retired GSHFS Emergency Services Director/Volunteer Coordinator
Murray, Rosemary (Vice President) - Government Affairs Consultant, retired Vice President of US Airways
Owen, Tofie M., Jr. - Senior Vice President, Corporate Development, SAIC, Retired Air Force Colonel
Reiley, Rex - Real Estate sales
Rosenthal, Philip - President of credit collection agency, low-income representative from Fairfax County Community Action Advisory Board
Rotondaro, Kathleen - President and founding partner of national consulting firm for housing activities
Souza, George - Retired Air Force officer, defense intelligence consultant; President of the Board of a non-profit professional association
Stearman, Joseph - Business owner, Property Manager, Investor, low-income representative (census sub-tract)
Utermohlen, Alison - Retired Senior Director of Government Affairs for Mortgage Bankers Association
Wagner, Tim - Real estate appraiser
For more detailed information, visit http://www.goodhousing.org or contact 703 768 9404.
Less than 15 miles south of Washington, D.C., Mount Vernon in Alexandria is home to 30,00 residents who live in houses ranging from modest to mansion. The neighborhoods within the Mount Vernon district are:
Mount Vernon is great for commuters given its proximity to Old Town, D.C., Fort Belvoir, the Beltway and Interstates 395 and 95. Huntington Metro Station isn’t far and roamers can access yellow trains there or use the easy transfer to the blue line at King Street. For travelers, the Ronald Reagan National Airport is nearby as well.
When it’s time to relax and let loose, Mount Vernon has plenty to offer, such as the 18.5-mile Mount Vernon Trail, the George Washington Estate, two country clubs and the Mount Vernon RECenter. Residents share their home with many eateries and shops and those looking to shop locally will love the farmers market. It takes place at the Sherwood Regional Library and provides produce, specialty meat, baked goods and more.
Mount Vernon Estate is decking the halls for "Christmas at Mount Vernon", a joyful daytime program at the Mount Vernon Gardens and Estate from late November through January.
Christmas at Mount Vernon means themed decorations (including 12 Christmas trees), a gingerbread Mount Vernon, historical chocolate-making demonstrations, and 18th-century dancing will be offered.
Visit Aladdin, George Washington's Christmas Camel, take special Mansion tours, and make a Chocolate Toast to Christmas, with our 18th-century-style chocolate drink, a Washington family favorite.
A tribe of Native American Indians called the ‘Doeg’ or ‘Doages’, ‘Dogues’, ‘Taux’, Dogi’, ‘Tacci’ and more had resided in villages of Northern Virginia along the Potomac River and Occoquan Rivers, including Tauxenent near the mouth of the Occoquan River, Assameck near Alexandria and Namasingakent near Mount Vernon in 1607. The ‘Doeg’ were said to be a branch of the Algonquian language family who lived on hunting, fishing and farming according to the seasons while frequently residing in different locations.
A large number of the ‘Doeg’ were forced out by the English colonists within the 17th Century while the others died from European diseases. The remaining ‘Doeg’ moved towards the eastern bank of the Potomac River and south of the north bank of the Rappahanock.
The Dogue Creek is named after the ‘Doeg’ Indians.
Woodlawn Plantation is a 126-acre estate that was originally part of George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate. Woodlawn is located at 9000 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, Virginia in Fairfax County near Fort Belvoir.
Woodlawn's main Federal-style house was designed by the architect of the U.S. Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, and constructed between 1800 and 1805 for Washington’s nephew Major Lawrence Lewis and his bride, Eleanor "Nelly" Custis Lewis. During the Lewis’ years in residence, Woodlawn comprised over 2,000 acres and was worked by over 100 workers, at least 90 of whom were African American slaves.
In 1846, the Lewis’s son sold the property to two families from New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the Troths and the Gillinghams, who were members of The Society of Friends (Quakers). Ethically opposed to slavery, the Troths and Gillinghams established Woodlawn as a "free labor colony," selling lots to both free black and white farmers, and employing only free laborers to demonstrate as false the argument that the abolition of slavery would mean the death of the Southern plantation economy. This belief in liberty and equality made Woodlawn a controversial social experiment in its time and place, and its residents became a target of raids and suspicion by Confederate forces during the Civil War.
By the turn of the 20th century, Woodlawn was sadly deteriorated and, in 1896, severely damaged by a hurricane. In 1901, the playwright Paul Kester moved in — with his mother, brother and 60 cats — and began "restoring" the house to livable conditions. In 1905, Kester moved on to nearby Gunston Hall, and sold Woodlawn to Miss Elizabeth Sharpe, a Pennsylvania coal heiress who spent two decades lovingly rehabilitating Woodlawn and its grounds to suit contemporary views of an ideal early American estate. Woodlawn’s final private owners were Senator and Mrs. Oscar Underwood of Alabama. Following Mrs. Underwood’s death, it was purchased by a private organization to ensure its preservation. In 1952, Woodlawn became the first historic site owned by The National Trust for Historic Preservation. For more information call (703) 780-4000 or visit www.woodlawn1805.org