Beautiful brick colonial in Seminary Hill. 5 bedrooms, 2 baths with over 2600+ of living space. Hardwood floors throughout. Bathrooms updated. Kitchen recently updated with granite counters. new cabinets. Gas stove. Two bedrooms, one bath, … [Read more]
$699,500 — 5 BR — 2 BA — 0 HB — 2,611 SQFT — 4505 Peacock Ave Alexandria22304 VA
Open Sun 2 Jul 2 – 4 Location Location Brick home with large fenced yard. Remodeled kitchen and baths. 2nd master suite on separate walk out level. Great Deck and patio. Must make appointment with listing agent.. Walk to stores and … [Read more]
Inova Alexandria Hospital, formerly known as Alexandria Hospital, was established in 1872 by Julia Johns and other community citizens. This hospital was the first full-service hospital in Northern Virginia. Located at 4320 Seminary Road in Alexandria, VA. this 318 bed facility offers a Women’s Center, Vascular and Interventional Radiology Services, Cancer Care, and Stroke Care.
Commander James S. Ward, well known as a scholar and an authority on tactics and gunnery, was the first Union naval officer mortally wounded after the outbreak of the Civil War. Ward was well known because, among other accomplishments, he was instrumental in establishing the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Union commanders understood that a Confederate blockade of the Potomac was a serious threat to the main supply line for Washington, D.C. As a result, a flotilla of seven Navy vessels under the command of James Ward were dispatched to protect the waterway for shipping. In the earliest days of the war, that flotilla was involved in an action to support the strategic redeployment of a small Federal force at Mathias Point. During this action a Confederate sniper shot Ward, and he died shortly thereafter.
One of these forts was named after Commander Ward, and today Fort Ward is the best preserved of this fort system. During the war, Fort Ward was the fifth largest fort defending the Capitol and thus deterred Confederate forces who never attacked its earthen walls. The Union Army abandoned the Fort in December 1865, and shortly thereafter any salvageable materials were sold at auction.
The land is now owned by the City of Alexandria. During the time of the war, the fort was a dusty (at times muddy) place, stripped of vegetation and armed with cannons. Today, it is a manicured oasis of greenery in the city of Alexandria.
On the grounds of old Fort Ward, Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site serves as a park, educational center and cultural remembrance for those who served here. The museum has exhibits on general Civil War topics as well as interpretive programs specific to Fort Ward and Alexandria during the Union occupation. Fort Ward can be entered at 4301 West Braddock in Alexandria, Virginia.