In 1724, John Ball acquired a 166-acre land grant along Four Mile Run from Lord Fairfax. He constructed a one-roomed log cabin with a loft. He lived there with his wife and five daughters farming wheat and corn and rearing sheep, cows, and pigs. He also ran a mill on Four Mile Run and kept some of the millstones on the property.
When John died in 1766, the house was bought by William Carlin, a tailor whose clients included George Washington and George Mason. The property remained in the Carlins family for over 100 years where the third generation, brother and sister Andrew and Anne, ran a dairy farm and built the 1880 house that adjoins the Ball cabin.
When the Carlins finally sold the property in 1887, the land was subdivided into a neighborhood known today as Glencarlyn, the oldest subdivision in Arlington. The house survived and over the years was used as a school, a summer cottage, and a home.
The last private owner was Marian Seller, who had grown up in that house and gave it to the Arlington Historical Society in 1975 so that it might be preserved and open to the public. The Ball-Sellers house is now owned by the Arlington Historical Society and is on Virginia State Historical Landmark and the National Register of Historic Sites.
The historic home which is located at 5620 Third Street South in the Glencarlyn neighborhood, is open for tours on Saturdays (April to October) and on summer holidays from 1-4 pm. Free private group tours are also available by appointment. The house is a rare example of how the ordinary man lived during the 1700s.
Properties in Glencarlyn
Home size: 1,072 sq.ft.
Property Type: Detached for Sale
Last Updated: 08/01/2020