Ready to move into your new home in Arlington? Awesome!
But before you unpack your boxes, there are some important improvements that you’ll need to tackle. Yeah, we get that home improvement is probably the last thing on your mind right now, but, trust us on this. Some of these tasks are easier to do before setting up your furnishings, whereas other things are essential for your safety.
So, before settling in your new home, take a look at these eight important home improvements that you need to do.
- Change the locks– this is a basic safety check that you shouldn’t ignore. It’s not that you shouldn’t trust your home seller- it’s just that you don’t know all the people that have had contact with those keys over the years. Any of them could have copied the keys for malicious reasons.
- Change alarm batteries– ensuring that your fire and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries is an important step that is often ignored then later forgotten. So, it’s better to deal with this now when the house is empty so you won’t have to move your furniture to make room for a ladder.
- Childproof your new home– if you have small kids, take a day to childproof your new home in Arlington. Afterall accidental accidents are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 14, and most of these accidents happen at home.
- Build extra storage– If your new home doesn’t have enough storage room, you can install some storage units around the house to make your home less cluttered. The entryway is especially important during winters when puffer jackets, snow boots, and scarves demand more space.
- Caulk cracks and gaps– use caulk to seal cracks around your new home and ensure that there are no leaks, drafts, and other nuisance that could add to your utility bills.
- Deep-clean carpets– If the carpets in your new home in Arlington are old and in need of some deep cleaning, do it before you move in your furniture.
- Clean hardwood floors- without destroying the finish– this task should also be done before moving in so that you don’t have to heavy furniture around. It is important to use the right cleaning solution that will not ruin your finish. The most recommended cleaners are those that contain isopropyl alcohol, which dries faster and you can get them in your nearby home supply store. You can alternatively make your own cleaner at home by mixing a cupful of vinegar to a gallon of water. This will help dissolve grease and grime on the floor without ruining the finish.
Properties in Arlington County
Beautiful END UNIT Townhouse in close-in North Arlington. Upper level has 3 generously-sized bedrooms and two full bathrooms! Includes 1 car garage! Nestled in a quiet cul-de-sac next to common area. Lower level entry features a family ... [Read more]
Largest 1 bed unit at 860 SF. Spacious kitchen features ceramic tile floor, granite countertops, Wood cabinets, stainless appliances; Wall to wall carpet; Newer HVAC unit; All utilities included in condo fee, Central HVAC; laundry room in ... [Read more]
Most amazing townhouse you will find in Arlington! One block to the Ballston Metro. Short stroll to the new Ballston Quarters! Cut-de-sac END unit. Completely renovated in 2015 and continuously improved every year. First floor Office can ... [Read more]
Fantastic opportunity in Lyon Village -- a neighborhood many consider to be one of the most desirable in all of Arlington!*Sited above a street with many beautiful homes on a large lot compared to recent neighborhood sales at over 9,000 SF (and ... [Read more]
Don't miss out on this great opportunity in the heart of Ballston for a one bedroom condo in a luxury building with a lot of amenities and a LOW condo fee. Perfect for a home, a second home, or an investment property. There is a washer and ... [Read more]
*MAJOR PRICE IMPROVEMENT* LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Beautiful Arts & Crafts home with 7500 square feet in the heart of Crystal City, only moments to Pentagon, Shops, Amazon~s HQ2, Metro and Reagan Airport! This nearly new home boasts a ... [Read more]
W O W!!! Sundrenched, south-facing duplex with 2 BRs and 2.5 BAs. Unique Arlington Penthouse unit with fireplace, balcony and city views. Wood floors on the main level, marble foyer, pass-thru kitchen, dramatic walls of glass. Both bedrooms ... [Read more]
Offers due Monday, 8/3, by 9PM. This 1BR 1 BA unit features upgraded kitchen with granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and designer tile backsplash. Living/ dining combo has hardwoods and floor to ceiling windows which lead to the ... [Read more]
Offers due Monday, 8/3, by 9PM. This gorgeous 3 bedroom 2.5 bath home in sought-after Arlington Heights has been completely renovated. Gourmet kitchen with white shaker cabinets, stainless steel appliances, granite counters, 5 burner gas ... [Read more]
Move in ready, 3 level townhouse, has 1500+ sq ft of finished living space and low HOA fees. The Carlisle Park HOA community of 32 townhomes is conveniently located one mile to Ballston Metro, with easy access to DC and Tysons, yet also ... [Read more]
REDUCED! What a steal. Close to 900 sf at metro in Arlington with reasonable condo fees and completely renovated/updated. Sleek, light-filled and modern with ample storage as well as extra storage space and access to another parking spot ... [Read more]
Avoid the airfare to Tuscany or the South of France by driving to 3401 N. Emerson Street. If you enjoy boutique hotels and resort living, then this is the property for you. Spectacular front and rear stone patios with sitting walls, antique ... [Read more]
Light and Bright 2 bedroom 1 bath condo featuring Bamboo floors throughout, all new windows, Brand New HVAC installed NOV 2019 and just a short walk to Georgetown, in between two metro stops (Rosslyn and Courthouse). Shopping nearby includes ... [Read more]
Come see this Amazingly Renovated, Updated and Detached 3-level Brick Home in Arlington! This Gorgeous Large Home with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The house sits on a Large Corner lot and has a Large Backyard which is fenced in. Large Detached ... [Read more]