Ready to move into your new home in Arlington? Awesome!
But before you unpack your boxes, there are some important improvements that you’ll need to tackle. Yeah, we get that home improvement is probably the last thing on your mind right now, but, trust us on this. Some of these tasks are easier to do before setting up your furnishings, whereas other things are essential for your safety.
So, before settling in your new home, take a look at these eight important home improvements that you need to do.
- Change the locks– this is a basic safety check that you shouldn’t ignore. It’s not that you shouldn’t trust your home seller- it’s just that you don’t know all the people that have had contact with those keys over the years. Any of them could have copied the keys for malicious reasons.
- Change alarm batteries– ensuring that your fire and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries is an important step that is often ignored then later forgotten. So, it’s better to deal with this now when the house is empty so you won’t have to move your furniture to make room for a ladder.
- Childproof your new home– if you have small kids, take a day to childproof your new home in Arlington. Afterall accidental accidents are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 14, and most of these accidents happen at home.
- Build extra storage– If your new home doesn’t have enough storage room, you can install some storage units around the house to make your home less cluttered. The entryway is especially important during winters when puffer jackets, snow boots, and scarves demand more space.
- Caulk cracks and gaps– use caulk to seal cracks around your new home and ensure that there are no leaks, drafts, and other nuisance that could add to your utility bills.
- Deep-clean carpets– If the carpets in your new home in Arlington are old and in need of some deep cleaning, do it before you move in your furniture.
- Clean hardwood floors- without destroying the finish– this task should also be done before moving in so that you don’t have to heavy furniture around. It is important to use the right cleaning solution that will not ruin your finish. The most recommended cleaners are those that contain isopropyl alcohol, which dries faster and you can get them in your nearby home supply store. You can alternatively make your own cleaner at home by mixing a cupful of vinegar to a gallon of water. This will help dissolve grease and grime on the floor without ruining the finish.
Properties in Arlington County
New Price! Snday Open! Rarely available Upper Unit 2 bed/1.5 bath two-level town home in Chelsea Landing in Courthouse. The home is in gorgeous model home condition. Extensive updates include dark hardwood floors, updated kitchen with granite & ... [Read more]
Why commute long distances or rent when you can OWN a piece of Arlington at this price?! Fantastic investment and unbeatable location are some of the many great features of this well-appointed 2br/1ba garden condo in the heart of Arlington. ... [Read more]
Super Bright and Sunny corner unit with balcony in a great location. Less than 3 miles to Ballston Metro All Utilities included, Free parking and so much. [Read more]
Ideal convenience in North Arlington. Great location for city living at a great price! A charming two bedroom, two bath unit in a secure, mid-rise building in North Arlington. It is located on the interior of the building, making it private and ... [Read more]
Great location in the heart of Columbia Knoll! Check out this very cool 3 Bedroom 2 full Bath condo located in the friendly (and pet-friendly!) community of Columbia Knoll. One of the largest units in the building, this bright corner unit ... [Read more]
Welcome to this Just completed Craftsman home on a large lot in sought after North Arlington. This 5 Bedrooms, 4 full and 1 half Bathrooms, 1 car garage, approximately 4500 square feet has high end finishes throughout. Gourmet chef's kitchen ... [Read more]
****Extremely rare floor plan, only a few in the village have this spectacular layout (and almost never go up for sale)! Large 3 level Townhouse in Fairlington Mews. Just a short ride to the Pentagon and 1 mile to Shirlington. This unit ... [Read more]
Price Improvement!! $24K price improvement! Now an even better value!! Check out the BEST VALUE at the Eclipse right now over $120K less than only other unit on the market right now! Say hello to the Luxe Life at the Eclipse in the heart of ... [Read more]
Completed and ready for move in! Classic Cottages' Fillmore model almost 5,800 sqft on 4 levels. 6 bedrooms, 6.5 baths. Hardwood floors on main and bedroom level. JennAir appliances, including wifi enabled range. Butler's Pantry with beverage ... [Read more]
As you will see when you arrive at the home, The Balcony is a main attraction accessed from the Library, The Living Room, and Both Bedrooms. It is enclosed with sliding glass windows looking over the River and Bridges into Washington D.C. with ... [Read more]
Welcome To The Belvedere 1510....The Belvedere is ideally located close to Reagan National Airport and 3 blocks from the Rosslyn Metro Stop. This home looks due East onto the Nations Capitol in Washington D.C. with panoramic views of the DC ... [Read more]
- NEWLY RENOVATED - This charming, two-story single home is conveniently located in the coveted Lyon Park area (10 min walk to Clarendon metro, 6 min drive to Reagan, and 4 min drive to Pentagon). Lyon park is one block away - perfect for a ... [Read more]
New construction in Lyon Park! Open concept floor plan is bright and airy with tons of natural light and high end finishes - Brazilian cherry hardwood floors, quartz countertops, 9 foot ceilings on main and upper levels. Large closets in all ... [Read more]
OPEN HOUSE on Sunday 10/20 1pm-4pm * Great Location in PENTAGON CITY and NATIONAL LANDING * Spectacular PANORAMIC VIEWS of the Washington DC Monuments, July 4th Fireworks, Dramatic Sunrises, and Nighttime City Lights from the private 9th FLOOR ... [Read more]