Having a yard is one thing, but having a beautiful yard worth of being in a landscape painting, well, that will require some hard work. It goes beyond mere maintenance and mowing. You will need a bit of landscape and garden design know-how and a lot of patience.
Luckily for you, we have some six insider secrets that will help transform your own patch of dirt into a lush and verdant lawn that will make your neighbors in Arlington jealous.
- Scratch the thatch- Thatch is a layer of dead or decomposing stems, roots, and other detritus that accumulates on your yard over time. To get rid of it, you will need to first mow your lawn to half its usual height, then clear out the dead layer by using either a dethatching rake or a dethatcher. After you’ve finished, fertilize and water your yard to help your grass recover.
- Feed your grass- You need a good fertilizer for your lawn. Get your soil tested to determine the levels of the three major nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Then talk to a garden store specialist in Arlington to determine the best fertilizer for your particular soil.
- Maintain year-round gardens- To create a yard that seems to have color, even in the dead of winter, doesn’t have to be difficult. Flowers and seasonal shrubs provide a bright burst of color during spring and summer, while evergreen trees and foliage will do for fall and winter.
- Trim your trimming- Before trimming, carefully consider the height of your blades. Don’t trim your grass too close to the soil as it will hinder lawn growth and will make your yard look less lush.
- Create a path- sleek and clean pathways can make a huge difference between a dull yard and a perfect yard.
- Become a regional expert- Every region is different and the lawn tips you may have picked elsewhere may not completely work in Arlington. Do your research about what works in your region.