So, you’re thinking about buying your first home in Arlington. Awesome!!
Buying a home in Arlington is a big deal both literally and figuratively. It requires a serious amount of money and time. The journey can be exhausting and frustrating. But, don’t worry here is a step by step process that can help you get the keys to your new home in Arlington.
- Do Your Homework- Before jumping into open houses in Arlington, write a list of what you want. You will need to decide on the price, housing type, neighborhood, school district, etc.
- Start Shopping- Once you know what you are looking for, its time to start looking at listings and housing information in Arlington online.
- Get a Great Agent in Arlington- Your relationship with your agent is fundamental in your home-buying process. You will be relying mostly on their expertise throughout the journey. That’s why it is important to interview agents and get the one that’s right for your specific needs.
- Choose a Lender- Once you’ve found your agent, ask them to recommend at least three mortgage lenders that meet your financial needs.
- Get a Loan- Once you’ve picked a lender, you’ll work with your loan agent to determine the best mortgage for you. Decide on the percentage of your income that you want to spend on your new home in Arlington and provide the required paperwork showing proof of income, employment status, and other important documents.
- Visit Open Houses, and Look Around- Now that you’ve got both an agent and a lender, it’s time to start viewing homes in Arlington. Your agent will provide listings you may like based on your parameters, and will also determine the quality of the listings you found online. Open houses and private showings will allow you to evaluate properties in a way you can’t do online.
- Make an Offer-When you find a home you like in Arlington, you’ll work with your agent to draft an offer that not only specifies the price you are willing to buy, but also the proposed settlement date and contingencies.
- Negotiate- Making an offer can be stressful. While some home sellers in Arlington simply accept the best offer they receive, others make a counteroffer. If that happens, you will have to decide whether you want your agent to negotiate with the seller or walk away.
- Get the House Inspected- If your offer is accepted, then you will sign a contract. Most sales contract include a house inspection contingency. This means that you’ll have to hire a licensed or certified home inspector to inspect for needed repairs and then ask the seller to have the repairs made. Here’s more about home inspection.
- Ace the Appraisal- When you offer to buy a home in Arlington, your lender will need to have the home appraised to make sure the property value is enough to cover the mortgage. If the home appraises close to the agreed-upon purchase price, then you’re one step closer to settlement.
- Close the Deal- In this settlement process, you will need to sign the final ownership and insurance paperwork and make the entire thing official. Settlement or closing is the last stage of the home-buying process in Arlington.
Properties in Arlington County
Combining golf course views with state-of-the-art luxury finishes, this spacious Four Level North Arlington Craftsman home definitely makes the cut! Imagine waking up each morning and gazing out at the course over breakfast. Indeed, both the ... [Read more]
Wonderful opportunity in sought after Williamsburg neighborhood! Striking Farmhouse featuring 5 bedrooms and 5 baths on 3 fully finished levels with detached garage. Completely renovated throughout with a fantastic open floor plan on the main ... [Read more]
Curb appeal is just the beginning of what this home has to offer with a landscaped front yard and slate patio retreat located on a low traffic, cul de sac street near the heart of Pentagon City. The interior has been renovated, updated and ... [Read more]
As you approach the curb of this charming 3-story colonial, you~ll feel you have just stepped into an enchanting fairytale. Lush landscaping creates a welcoming entry as you meander up the driveway to the inviting front entry. As you enter ... [Read more]
Just move in! *Exceptionally charming and thoughtfully remodeled Bungalow *Nestled on a lovely landscaped fenced lot with patio backing to beautiful Bluemont Park and W & OD Bike trail *Historic 1918 period charm seamlessly blended with ... [Read more]
IMMACULATE LYON PARK HOME WITH CONTEMPORARY CRAFTSMAN APPEAL and just minutes from the amenities and entertainment of Clarendon! Gorgeous Lyon Park Craftsman has been lovingly maintained and updated with Built-ins and Designer Touches. Total ... [Read more]
Sky-High Style! This stunning 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath and den floorplan combines exclusivity and rarity with its abundance of natural light, Potomac River and monument views, and floor-to-ceiling windows 19 stories above the city. A regal residence ... [Read more]
Built with pride by The Wormald Companies/ AMERICAN SIGNATURE PROPERTIES - Located in a great North Arlington location and featuring five bedrooms and four and one-half baths on a 7,273 square foot lot. In a sought after school ... [Read more]
This lovely light-filled home is just perfect. Bright and light 2-level home (2 bed/2 bath) with 1-car garage -- one of only 10 units in the community with a private garage. The garage has ample room for one car and additional storage space for ... [Read more]
Stunning Lot in Country Club Hills Awaits Your Dream Home. Build the Home Shown or Customize with Joy Custom Design Build to Meet Your Lifestyle. Plans Show Multiple Optional Outdoor Living Spaces and Elevator! [Read more]
This spacious Westover Place townhome offers 2,311 finished square feet plus a 2 car garage. Only 4 years old, the open concept floor plan with gleaming hard wood floors will impress! The kitchen boasts a large island breakfast bar, and has ... [Read more]
This meticulously maintained home is modern living at it's best. With the open concept kitchen family room combo, mudroom off the butlers pantry, screened in porch, hardwood floors, fenced backyard, private master suite and a lower level ... [Read more]
This Arlington classic dates back to 1948 and offers the charm and sophistication of the era, while boasting elegant 21st century updates. Located in the iconic North Arlington off Lorcom Lane, working in Washington no longer means hours lost ... [Read more]
LARGE OPEN 2BR STAUNTON MODEL w/ Rare Huge 11x14 Private Storage Room. Light-Filled Unit In Fantastic Location w/ Picturesque Views from Expansive Balcony. Beautiful Open Kitchen w/ an Abundance Cabinetry and Storage, Suite of Modern ... [Read more]