Fort Belvoir is a United States Army installation and a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County. Originally, it was the site of the Belvoir plantation. Today, Fort Belvoir is home to a number of important the United States military organizations. The population of Fort Belvoir was 7,100 at the 2010 census.
The Fort Belvoir site was originally the home of William Fairfax, the cousin and land agent of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron the proprietor of the Northern Neck, which once stood on land now on the base. William Fairfax purchased the property in 1738 when his cousin arranged for him to be appointed customs agent (tax collector) for the Potomac River, and William erected an elegant brick mansion overlooking the river, moving in with his family in 1740. Lord Fairfax came to America in 1747 and stayed less than a year at the Belvoir estate before moving to Greenway Court. The Fairfax family lived at Belvoir for over 30 years, but the eldest son (and heir) George William Fairfax sailed to England on business in 1773, never to return. The manor home was destroyed by fire in 1783. Today, the ruins of the Belvoir Mansion and the nearby Fairfax family grave site are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. William Fairfax served in the Royal Navy as a young man and all of his sons (except his eldest, George William) served in uniform, two of whom were killed in combat.
Fort Belvoir is located in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia approximately 20 miles South of Washington D.C.
Fort Belvoir is located near Interstate 95. Reagan National Airport is located 12 miles from Fort Belvoir while Dulles International Airport is approximately 35 miles from Fort Belvoir. An Amtrak station is located just six miles from Fort Belvoir’s main gate.
Children residing on Fort Belvoir attend the Fort Belvoir Elementary School located on post, Walt Whitman Middle School or Mount Vernon High School. The Fort Belvoir Elementary School is part of the Fairfax County Public Schools System. Bus transportation is provided for Middle School and High School students.
Fort Belvoir Community Hospital is a joint service integrated health care system providing world-class healthcare to the nation’s service members and their families. The $1.03 billion, 1.3 million-square-foot facility replaced DeWitt Army Community Hospital located on Fort Belvoir and integrated various aspects of the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C., officially in August 2011 in accordance with 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Law.