- Check out real estate pro referrals. — I like Angie’s List because I know that Angie’s List voice verifies each review. You can also see if the agent or brokerage has any awards for client satisfaction.
- Speak with a few agents — There is no one-size-fits-all. I know that I'm not the Realtor for every buyer client. The Realtor should have time to chat to you. If you pick the most popular Realtor in Fairfax County, you might find yourself working with a junior associate affiliated with that real estate pro.
- Your Realtor should never have an irritating personality. — You want a agent that “gets you”. You don't want to have to explain the same thoughts and ideas over and over.
- Ask the licensed real estate adviser his/her process for finding houses in Alexandria. — When selecting a real estate agent, ask how they identify properties. Some real estate pros have their own preferred listings that they favor. But you want what’s most suitable for you, not what’s most suitable for your agent. So make sure the real estate agent is willing to search high and low to find the right residence for you. That includes using the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) as well as their own personal network.
- Find out more about your representation agreement. — The Commonwealth of Virginia requires all licensed agents to sign a representation agreement before showing properties or having material discussions about a specific home. Be very wary of any agent that is not concerned about getting a representation agreement signed. It doesn't hurt to have a legal counselor take a look at your representation agreement, but usually that's not necessary. The document is pretty straight forward. A representation agreement describes the agent's responsibilities and your obligations when a real estate agent shows you a property in Fairfax County.
The most compatible real estate agent in Fairfax County for you is not necessarily the one with the most years on the job, and probably isn't a pushy individual. The ideal licensed real estate adviser understands your needs, and wants to work hard to find you the house of your dreams. Here's my guidance for choosing the ideal Realtor for you when you're purchasing a home with 3 bedrooms in Fairfax County: