When you decide to sell your home in Arlington you should immediately begin referring to it as a house. You’ve become emotionally attached to this place and it’s now time to say goodbye. Your home is where the heart is. Your house is a product for sale, so start detaching yourself by making some changes that will help you with the sale of the house.
You probably have accumulated a lot of clutter over the years. This must be the first step.
1. Unclutter your home. Start in the basement and either throw things out or rent a locker off premises to store it until you move but prospective buyers need to see what the house looks like behind all your stuff. This means going room to room and clearing everything out that makes it look junkie and disorganized.
2. Neutralize the personal nature of your home. You may love the native tapestry on the living room wall from Bora Bora but I’ll guarantee 95% of your prospects will have it on their mind when they leave your home and not in a good way. Knick knacks and generally all things that you’ve previously enjoyed should be stored away until after the sale, that includes grandma’s spoon collection that takes up half a wall in the kitchen. Replace these things with neutral items like picture frames or vase with a simple arrangement.
3. Minor cosmetic work. Once you remove the clutter you will see all the things that you’ve been meaning to get to over the years. Painting where necessary, new carpet/s, moldings repaired, cracked plaster and re-taping/ repairing drywall. When making these improvements think neutral colors for any coverings be it paint or carpets. If you have hardwood floors sand them and finish them. Area rugs can look amazing. Whatever you do, don’t over do it. Try and think like a buyer.
4. Hire a professional cleaner. Once you have the house cleared you should hire a professional cleaning crew to wash the walls, windows, work over the kitchen and bathrooms, clean the floors and shampoo all carpets that don’t need to be replaced. Your house should be spotless and kept this way for the duration.
5. Staging each room. If your rooms are smaller rearrange the furniture to make the room look bigger. For example removing some furniture is better than having too much cramped in. Set your furniture up in conversation pit style. Like a gourmet coffee house, make it cozy. Pull couches away from walls to give the appearance of depth. Remove wall clutter, one or two pictures but no more. Generally make it look inviting.
6. Kitchen and bathrooms. These are the most important rooms in your home to a buyer. Make sure they are impeccable. Plumbing fixtures should be working properly and look like new or they should be replaced. Use a good cleaner or even a metal polish to make them gleam. Showers and tubs need to be spotless! Sinks and vanities need to be pristine and uncluttered. Kitchen cupboards should be orderly, doors opening and closing properly, drawers the same. I can’t stress enough how important these two rooms are to your potential outcome.
7. Doors and windows. First thing prospects see when they walk in your home is a door. Make sure its painted or cleaned up and that it will open and close properly. This goes for screen doors as well. Often screen doors are a problem people let go. Not anymore. Windows should all be cleaned and be sure if someone wants to open them that they work properly. If they have been painted closed as is the case with some older homes, now is the time to get them to open. Do whatever it takes.
8. Garages and workshops. These are the second most important areas. Again remove all clutter from the garage and make it accessible so you can actually park your car in it! As for the workshop, try and organize it so the handy person prospect will appreciate what they can do with their “new shop” when they move in. It’s all about your prospect picturing themselves in your house.
9. Family effort. Everyone in your family needs to be on board with the presentation of the house. This means your kids need to buy into the project and keep their rooms tidy. Bribe them if you need to but everyone has to help maintain the appearance of the entire house.
10. Odors and pets. Wow, is this ever important. If you have pets only you really love them. When you walk into a house with dogs or cats you immediately smell them, especially if you don’t have your own. Keep litter boxes fresh and clean daily. Restrict your animals if at all possible to certain areas of the home until after the sale. Vinegar and water will do wonders when you clean their areas every other day until the sale is complete, and top it off with effective air fresheners wherever you need them. Vacuum often with carpet fresh powders two or 3 times a week.
This sounds like quite a bit of work and it is. Try and remember that by following these tips you could easily add five to ten thousand dollars to the sale price of your home, maybe more. A little elbow grease now will be a solid investment.
Properties in Arlington
SUNNY, SPACIOUS & SPECTACULAR! Unit 820 at The Continental at Ballston Metro has one of the most expansive and luxurious floor plans in the entire building. Perfect for everyday comfort and entertaining alike, this two-bedroom and two-bathroom D5 model features approximately 1,328 square feet of living space, which is the largest unit of its type. Contemporary and elegant, its open plan kitchen, dining and living area flow well together for your furnishings and decor. And its two sizable bedrooms, each with walk-in closets and spa-like bathrooms, can accommodate a variety of large furniture from king-sized beds to dressers and even desks. Options and upgrades abound including Brazilian cherry flooring, granite countertops, stainless steel Whirlpool Gold and GE kitchen appliances, front loading washer / dryer, kitchen backsplash, gas fireplace, linen closets, designer lighting, glass tub and shower doors, closet organizer systems and much more. The Continental has low condo fees relative to other buildings in Ballston yet offers residents amazing amenities such as a 24-hour concierge, fitness center, library with business center, party room with kitchen, cinema screening room, landscaped courtyard, 4-high speed elevators, and an incredible rooftop pool and lounge with gas grilling areas and panoramic urban city vistas. With respect to the area, the community's location couldn't be better: numerous dining, shopping and entertaining options are at your beck and call throughout the day and night (walk-score of 90). Moreover, the Orange / Silver line Metro is less than two blocks away and the new Target is just across the street. Last but not least, this property conveys with TWO PARKING SPACES on the first parking level and an extra-large STORAGE space just down the hall from the unit's front door. ***Unit 820 is an absolute must view for buyers that value space, comfort, luxury, location and community*** Call listing agent to schedule your private tour today! OPEN THIS SUNDAY FROM 1PM TO 4PM.
PRICE DROP! PET FRIENDLY!! OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 10/3 & 10/4 2-4PM. GO TO CALL BOX ON N. POLLARD ENTRANCE AND ENTER "002". STUNNING! STUNNING! STUNNING! HIGH RISE ARLINGTON CONDO LIVING IN THE HISTORIC CHERRYDALE SUBDIVISION! PREMIUM PENTHOUSE UNIT IS RARE AS ONE OF THE LARGEST SINGLE LEVEL FLOOR PLANS (1515 SQ FT) IN THE HEART OF CHERRYDALE NEIGHBORHOOD ACROSS FROM THE ICONIC CHERRYDALE HARDWARE STORE! THIS SPECIAL PROPERTY HAS ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND FEATURES A LIGHT FILLED OPEN CONCEPT PALLETTE AWAITING YOUR DECORATING VISION. 12' CEILINGS WITH EXPOSED DUCTWORK MAKE THIS PLACE SEEM EVEN BIGGER! FLOOR TO CEILING WINDOWS ARE GORGEOUS AND ALLOW PLENTY OF SUNLIGHT TO GLEAM OFF YOUR BEAUTIFUL MAPLE HARDWOOD FLOORS! GOURMET KITCHEN WITH GRANITE COUNTERTOPS, STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES (ABOVE RANGE MICROWAVE, GAS STOVE, REFRIGERATOR AND DISHWASHER) AND AN ABUNDANCE OF NATURAL MAPLE CABINETS HAS AMAZING FLOW INTO OPEN CONCEPT DINING AND LIVING ROOM AREAS AND LEADS OUT TO YOUR BALCONY RETREAT WHERE YOU CAN UNWIND WITH A COOL BEVERAGE TO ENJOY THE COMMANDING VIEW FROM YOUR TOP FLOOR (67 SQ FT) BALCONY. REVEL IN THE CAPACIOUS STORAGE WITH TWO HUGE WALK-IN CLOSETS, TWO SPACIOUS WALK-UP CLOSETS, AMPLE KITCHEN CABINETS, AND ADDITIONAL MULTI-LEVEL SHELF STORAGE ABOVE THE FLOOR LEVEL WASHER AND DRYER IN THE LARGE LAUNDRY ROOM. YOUR UPGRADED LIGHT FIXTURES AND GORGEOUS ENSUITE AND ADJACENT GRANITE BATHROOMS TOP THIS MASTERPIECE OFF! ENJOY THE COMFORT AND SAVINGS OF THE EFFICIENT BRAND-NEW HVAC SYSTEM (JULY 2020). PRIVACY IS EXCEPTIONAL AS THIS TOP LEVEL CONDO IS ON THE CORNER OF THE BUILDING WRAPPING AROUND THE CLOCK TOWER WITH WALLS OF WINDOWS, ONLY ONE NEIGHBORING UNIT, AND PROXIMITY TO ELEVATOR! VERY WALKABLE WITH TOP DINING, SHOPPING, GATHERING SPOTS, HISTORICAL LANDMARKS AND PARKS NEARBY. METRO/BUS STOPS CLOSE BY! COMMERCIAL LEASING SPACE AVAILABLE BELOW IF WANTING TO LIVE AND RUN YOUR BUSINESS IN THE SAME BUILDING! PARKING GARAGE HAS 2 ASSIGNED SPACES, ADDITIONAL PERSONAL LOCKABLE STORAGE CAGE (122 CUBIC FEET) AND SECURE BIKE RACKS IN GARAGE AREA AS WELL. PUBLIC ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS AND CAPITAL BIKE STATION WITHIN ½ BLOCK. WELCOME HOME! (PLEASE FOLLOW ALL COVID-19 PROCEDURES - MASKS/HAND SANITIZER AND GLOVES WILL BE AT FRONT DOOR FOR ALL TO USE. PLEASE DISPOSE IN WASTEPAPER BASKET AFTER USE. THANK YOU!)
<1/2 mile to Rosslyn METRO, Restaurants, Bars, Shopping & Conveniences! An open staircase leads to the bright and airy 2-story Living Room, wall of windows that lead to private patio - surrounded by trees for extra privacy! Renovated kitchen with island opens into the dining room, quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, and modern white kitchen cabinets. Spacious Master bedroom with 2 large walk-in closets with Elfa closet organizer. Updated Master bathroom with large jetted tub and beautiful tile work. 2nd large bedroom with picture window. Hall bathroom with shower/tub. BONUS: Soundproof walls, CONDO FEE INCLUDES UTILITIES: Water, Gas, and Electric! Amazing amenities: Outdoor Olympic style heated pool, fitness center, party room, common laundry room, on-site dry cleaners, and an on-site convenience store with extensive wine selection & various other items to simplify your life. The Prospect House Building is Serviced by a 24/7/365 Concierge and Security Guard Secure Basement Level Storage Units & Separate Bike Storage Room. JUST BLOCKS TO ROSSLYN METRO & Minutes to Georgetown and Downtown D.C. Jogging, Biking Trails and Monuments are just minutes away - Next to Iwo Jima & Netherlands Carillon Enjoy all the action and fun of the R-B Corridor, Georgetown and DC restaurants and shops! 1 garage parking spot conveys with the unit & an additional parking spot available for rent if needed!