More home owners and buyers are ranking energy-efficient and environmentally friendly home features high in surveys.
AOL Real Estate recently highlighted a few easy steps home owners can take to make their homes more “green”:
- Swap out the light bulbs: LED light bulbs are known as being 80 percent more energy efficient and lasting as much as 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Have a programmable thermostat: These devices that allow you more easily to adjust the temperature can save a home owner about $180 a year in energy costs, according to Energy Star.
- Trade in the old water heater: A heat pump hot water heater is known to be more than twice as efficient as standard electric resistance tanks, according to the AOL Real Estate article.
- Add aerators to faucets and showerheads: These devices can limit the amount of water that is used.
- Add ceiling fans: “Energy Star-qualified fans are 50 percent more efficient than conventional units and can save up to $15 per year on utility bills,” according to AOL Real Estate.
- Use Energy Star appliances: For example, replacing a dishwasher that was made before 1994 with an Energy Star-certified one can save $40 on utility bills by using less water. Energy Star-rated refrigerators can save home owners from $200 to $1,100 over the life of the appliance.
Source: “10 Eco-Friendly Things to Do for Your Home,” AOL Real Estate (April 22, 2013)
Julie NesbittJulie Nesbitt knows the back trails and by-ways of Northern Virginia real estate.
Enjoying Winkler Botanical PreserveWe had a great time walking the trails.
Don’t take chances with real estate.
REDUCED: 7202 Churchill Rd, McLeanOpen House, Sunday, 1-4 BIG PRICE DROP! 7202 CHURCHILL ROAD McLean, VA 22101 6 Bedrooms 5.5 Bathrooms 6,752 SF $1,695,000
[FWD: The Empire Strikes Back Pictures]We played a game at the office this Sunday. Lots of fun. Sincerely, Will Nesbitt Principal Broker Nesbitt RealtyAlexandria VA licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of Maryland 703 765 0300 (main) 571 237 7902 (direct)888 783 6391 (fax) ——– Original Message ——– Subject: The Empire Strikes Back Pictures From: [email protected]…