Crossroads of the Marine Corps – MCB Quantico

Located near Triangle, of Southern Prince William County, VA and established in 1917, Marine Corps Base Quantico or MCB Quantico is one of the largest U.S Marine Corps bases in the world with a replica of the USMC War Memorial structured at the entrance. MCB Quantico and the Potomac surround the town of Quantico meaning ‘by the large stream’, therefore only permitting access to the town via the base, Amtrak or the river.

MCB Quantico houses:

  • Marine Corps Combat Development Command
  • Marine Corps Officer Candidates School
  • Marine Corps Research Center
  • Marine Corps Brig.
  • HMX-1
  • United States Drug Enforcement Administration’s Training Academy
  • FBI Academy
  • FBI Laboratory
  • FBI Hostage Rescue Team
  • Marine Raider Museum

Quantico experienced the first military presence during the American Revolutionary War, when the main naval base of the Commonwealth of Virginia was Quantico Creek village for the 72 vessel fleet. Quantico was built by the Quantico Company that brought in tourists and was highlighted as a fishing town. Quantico was then introduced as ‘The New Industrial City’ in 1916 while the number of U.S Navy ships being constructed at the Quantico Shipyards brought in profit.
Marine Barracks, Quantico was established in 1917 now occupied by the present base that consisted of 91 enlisted men and 4 officers. With thousands of Marines being trained during the World War I, Marine Corps schools were then established that then developed into Marine Corps University.

Highlights of MCB Quantico:

  • Development of the first Marine Aircraft Wing
  • HMX-1, the Marine Helicopter Squadron One is the Corps’s first helicopter squadron was established that provide efficient transportation for the U.S Presidents till today
  • Amphibious Warfare Doctrine for World War II was developed in 1934
  • Marine Corps Development and Education Command was changed to Marine Corps Combat Development Command in 1987

The Quantico Marine Corps Base Historic District along with a portion of the base is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.