Located at 6641 Wakefield Drive in Alexandria VA 22307, blanketed by waterways and parks over 27 acres of woods, River Towers is situated just between Fort Hunt Road and the George Washington Parkway.
The serene neighborhood of River Towers offers a relaxed private environment very close to Old Town Alexandria. Residents here have easy access to the Potomac River, Alexandria and Washington D.C. Many condos here have water views. Some have views of the nearby parks.
What to Find at River Towers:
Mount Vernon Recreation Center
What to Do at River Towers:
With Fall here, River Towers’ is a picturesque nature filled neighborhood more than ever and more exciting activities to enjoy within the community.
Old Town Alexandria has several parks next to the water. During the summer time pick up volleyball games happen often. Along Union St. there are parks that have a dog park, trails, a basketball court, a playground, and plenty of green grass . These parks are a great resource within walking distance of several neighborhoods.
Condominiums near the volleyball courts include Alexandria House and Port Royal and Old Town Commons. Old Town is a very walkable area. Grocery stores in the area include Safeway, Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods.The nearest metro to the parks is King Street metro station.
Commander James S. Ward, well known as a scholar and an authority on tactics and gunnery, was the first Union naval officer mortally wounded after the outbreak of the Civil War. Ward was well known because, among other accomplishments, he was instrumental in establishing the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Union commanders understood that a Confederate blockade of the Potomac was a serious threat to the main supply line for Washington, D.C. As a result, a flotilla of seven Navy vessels under the command of James Ward were dispatched to protect the waterway for shipping. In the earliest days of the war, that flotilla was involved in an action to support the strategic redeployment of a small Federal force at Mathias Point. During this action a Confederate sniper shot Ward, and he died shortly thereafter.
One of these forts was named after Commander Ward, and today Fort Ward is the best preserved of this fort system. During the war, Fort Ward was the fifth largest fort defending the Capitol and thus deterred Confederate forces who never attacked its earthen walls. The Union Army abandoned the Fort in December 1865, and shortly thereafter any salvageable materials were sold at auction.
The land is now owned by the City of Alexandria. During the time of the war, the fort was a dusty (at times muddy) place, stripped of vegetation and armed with cannons. Today, it is a manicured oasis of greenery in the city of Alexandria.
On the grounds of old Fort Ward, Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site serves as a park, educational center and cultural remembrance for those who served here. The museum has exhibits on general Civil War topics as well as interpretive programs specific to Fort Ward and Alexandria during the Union occupation. Fort Ward can be entered at 4301 West Braddock in Alexandria, Virginia.
Located at 1021 North Quincy Street in Arlington, Virginia, Quincy Park is a recreational park that spans 4.21 acres that features tennis, basketball, and volleyball courts; as well as baseball, softball, and soccer fields. Quincy Park sits adjacent to Arlington’s Central Library and offers wide open spaces for walking and strolling as well as ample grounds for running and jogging.
Quincy Park amenities include public restrooms (which are accessible through the library), water fountains, a picnic shelter with picnic tables, bleachers, and charcoal grills. Quincy Park hosts 6 tennis courts and one basketball court which are equipped with lighting to facilitate play at dusk and throughout the early evening. Quincy Park usually offers adequate and convenient parking in the park’s public lot; although the parking lot is presently under construction and is therefore temporarily out of service. Park hours are from sunrise until 1/2 an hour after sunset except on lighted facilities. Both the volleyball court and the softball field must be reserved in advance for public use.
Need something fun to do? Contact the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Arlington County has several facility centers that offer facility rental, picnic shelters, summer camps, senior adult activities,and much more.
For more information and park locations please contact:
Fort Scott Park is located south west of Crystal City not far from Pentagon City and Aurora Hills in Arlington VA. Fort Scott Park is one of several parks in Northern Virginia that were part of the defenses of Washington during the civil war. The sign at the site reads:
Defenses of Washington 1861 – 1865
Fort Scott Here stood a detached lunette constructed in May 1861 to guard the south flank of the defenses of Washington and named for General Winfield Scott, then General-in-chief of the army. It was subsequently relegated to an interior position by the construction of defenses of Alexandria about 1 3/4 miles to the West. The fort had a perimeter of 313 yards and emplacements for 8 guns. A remnant portion may be found immediately to the West.
Today, Fort Scott Park is more than 11 and a half acres of family-friendly fun that welcomes toddlers and children. Fort Scott Park features appealing playground equipment like a sandbox, a playhouse, and both baby and regular swings. The park has nice shade and picnic pavilions. The adjacent basketball court is a great place to let dad make some free throws. The park also has tennis courts and softball fields.
Fort Scott Park
2800 South Fort Scott Drive,
Arlington, VA 22202
Dog parks have become quite popular. People are looking for ways to spend outside time with their dog without infringing upon other people’s space. Owner/handler and dogs can make great lasting friendships in a secure dog park.
Arlington County has 8 dog parks for you and your pet to enjoy. These parks are referred to as CCA’s, Community Canine Areas. The Arlington area is very pet-friendly, so you and your dog can spend time outdoors in a safe environment.
Of course with such great benefits come rules and regulations. Please be sure to read all the expectations that the park has outlined for you before you enter the parks. The parks are open from sunrise to half an hour past sunset. If you would like more information on the dog parks, please contact the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources at 703-931-9241.
Below is a partial list of rules that you must abide by:
All dogs must be licensed and vaccinated
No dog less than 4 months old allowed in the parks
Female dogs in heat are not allowed
Owner/handlers are allowed 3 dogs at one time.
Julie Nesbitt knows the back trails and by-ways of Northern Virginia real estate.
Dunn Loring Park is operated by Fairfax County Parks & Recreation. The Park is located at 2540 Gallows Road, Vienna 22027. Dunn Loring Park has a shelter that can be reserved through Fairfax County. There are three tables and three grills at the shelter. The park is surrounded by quiet residential neighborhoods and it’s not far from Dunn Loring / Merrifield Metro.
Dunn Loring Park has the following amenities:
Here are some nearby homes for sale in the 22027 zip code.
We played a game at the office this Sunday. Lots of fun. Sincerely, Will Nesbitt Principal Broker Nesbitt RealtyAlexandria VA licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of Maryland 703 765 0300 (main) 571 237 7902 (direct)888 783 6391 (fax) ——– Original Message ——– Subject: The Empire Strikes Back Pictures From: [email protected]m…
The business and staff offices of the Town of Vienna Virginia is at the Vienna Community Center. As such, the Vienna Community Center is also the main location for the Parks and Recreation Department of the Town of Vienna. The Community Center is located at 120 Cherry Street, SE Vienna, VA 22180.
In addition to general office space, the Community Center has space here for classes and programs. Contact the Town of Vienna to schedule and allocate space for activities and user groups. The Town’s offices are open from 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. The office is closed on holidays.