There are a few key concepts that any prospective purchaser should know when seeking real estate by zip code:
- ZIP Codes are categories for grouping mailing addresses and are not exact geographic regions.
- The centroid of a ZIP Code may be in one County and the associated city/town in another.
- In rural areas, a single ZIP Code may be used for cities and towns in several different Counties / Independent Cities.
- ZIP Code “areas” can overlap, be subsets of each other, or be artificial constructs with no geographic area.
- ZIP Codes are only loosely tied to cities.