Seeking a rental?
Yes? We help military folks like you find rentals everyday. Read more about our services for renters here.
However, please consider that if you will be in the area for more than 2 years you should definitely consider making a purchase. That's because with a VA loan and today's low rates, it will probably be cheaper for you to buy than to rent. If you've already used your VA eligibility on another purchase we can explain how to buy in Northern Virginia.
Renting is a good way to get some firsthand experience with a neighborhood. Renting can let you sign a 1 year lease, say in a Shirlington 2 bedroom condo for example, with the option to continue, if you like the neighborhood. An advantage of this is you can test the waters, to see if you really love the features of this neighborhood or not. If you don’t like where you’re at, say for example, if the 4 bedroom, 2 story home in Lorton is not your style, you can always relocate to another place.
Pay as You Go
Many Americans live pay check to pay check. Upfront, you will have a security deposit, with a rate that depends on your credit score. If you have a good credit score, your property manager might only charge 1 months’ rent, for a security deposit. On the other hand, if you have a poor credit score, your property manager might charge 2 months’ rent, for a security deposit. After this initial fee (which can be refunded if you meet the requirements like passing the move out inspection), it’s nice to know that after a chunk of your paycheck is put into your monthly rent, there’s a good portion left for bills, necessities, and fun expenditures, like neighborhood nightlife or personal hobbies.
Short Term Commitment & Little Investment
Not sure if you want to stay in Northern Virginia, as a Washington DC commuting, GS-5? Do you have plans of living in California and seeing Napa Valley, Los Angeles, and San Francisco firsthand? Are you Active duty military, with upcoming orders for a new assignment, with no interest in the responsibility of becoming a homeowner? If so, these questions might make you lean towards renting, as opposed to buying. It’s nice to know that as a renter, you won’t have to worry about footing the bill for a repair on a roof that is falling apart, paying a monthly a condo fee (that could range anywhere from $150-$700), or paying the bill for a lawn service to pick up the leaves from your $1,000,000 Mount Vernon home, in fall. Overall, renting can be cheaper up front, but it isn’t for everyone. Also, who says you can’t just buy later?
Build Your Credit While You Sock Away Savings for a Down Payment
Paying your bills on time is an excellent way to build your credit score, and to show lenders that you know how to manage your money. If you are frugal, you can take a chip off each pay check, to build up a savings for buying a home in the future. The return on applying your savings to the purchase of the home of your dreams can be exponential. For those with an eye on the future, being a responsible tenant can prepare you financially and teach you the accountability necessary for home ownership.
Spending time with friends can make for priceless memories. Living together can be fun and slightly cheaper than going solo. The process of getting a group of friends together to rent out a property can be a very rewarding and challenging process. A Nesbitt Realty Realtor, like Stuart Nesbitt, can help make the later stages of finding and renting a property simple. There are many different neighborhoods in Northern Virginia to choose from, that can fit your specific needs (such as being metro accessible, having a main street, Being near a good school, being luxurious, being a certain type of building style [e.g. high-rise or garden style, for example] ,being affordable, or even being off the beaten path).
Call Us At (703)765-0300
We're standing by to assist or advise as needed.
We are most helpful for military personnel stationed at or in-bound to the following bases, forts and outposts:
- Homes for sale near Mark Center Complex
- Relocating / PCSing to Fort Belvoir
- Relocating / PCSing to Fort Myer
- Relocating / PCSing to Henderson Hall in Arlington VA
- Relocating / PCSing to Joint Base Andrews / Andrews Air Force Base / Naval Air Facility Washington
- Relocating / PCSing to National Reconnaissance Office (NRO)
- Relocating / PCSing to Quantico Marine Corps Base
- Relocating / PCSing to Telecommunication and Information Systems Command (TISCOM)
- Relocating / PCSing to the Pentagon
Nesbitt Realty is a real estate brokerage licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia and State of Maryland. Many of our agents are members of the Nesbitt family, but all of our agents will treat you like family.
Locals trust us because we provide the same services as a national chain realty but with a hometown touch. We're big enough to get the job done, but small enough to appreciate each and every client. Learn more about us.
- The Pentagon --- http://www.defenselink.mil/
- Military District of Washington --- http://www.mdw.army.mil/
- Fort Belvoir --- http://www.belvoir.army.mil/
- Quantico --- http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/
- Ft. Myer --- http://www.fmmc.army.mil/
- Andrews Joint Service Base --- http://www.andrews.af.mil/
- Bolling Joint Service Base ---
- Armed Forces Benefit Association --- http://www.afba.com/
- National Defense University (Ft. McNair) --- http://www.ndu.edu/
- Naval Research Lab --- http://www.nrl.navy.mil/
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center --- http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/
- Bethesda National Naval Medical Center --- http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/
- Basic Allowance for Housing --- https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html
- Military OneSource --- http://www.militaryonesource.com/skins/MOS/home.aspx
- Military Compensation --- http://www.dod.mil/militarypay/pay/bp/01_activeduty.html
- Military Homefront --- http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil/moving
We’d love the opportunity to show you about why our clients rave about our service.
Nesbitt Realty is a family-owned brokerage that works hard for your business. Most of our agents have military experience or connections.
We will honor the trust you put in us by making sure that you enjoy an easy and fruitful relocation.